Child Behavior Community
Gifted child with behavior issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Gifted child with behavior issues

My 9 year son is considered intellectually gifted and has been participating in the gifted program at his school since he was 5.  He has always presented challenging behaviors which I have always associated with this giftedness.  Recently, his behaviors have worsened which is causing him problems at school.  He get very angry and has poor impulse control issues.  He is currently seeing a counselor to help out with these issues but it seems as if they want to "diagnose" him.  My limited understanding of giftedness and research on the subject lends me to believe that alot of these characteristics are directly associated with his giftedness.  He needs to learn some coping skills and I am all for that. When do you differentiate giftedness from other behavioral problems?  What would you recommend to ensure my son does not receive a mis-diagnosis.  Seems like educators and mental health proffesional alike to not have a good understanding of giftedness and are quick to label.  Your assistance is appreciated.
I have heard of this problem before,I have also noticed the two go hand in hand ,Did you ask the school what had happened to make him angry and how they handle it,there are boundarys he has to have, gifted or not.Are there some situations that trigger his behavior, and how do you and his Father deal with them. Apart from school work does he play a sport and go out has he friends ,sometimes these children become rather solitary,. You can always ask for other Oppinions before they diagnose him.