Child Behavior Expert Forum
Gifted or PTSD

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Gifted or PTSD

My daughter is 3.5 and has never really been normal or typical. She's always required constant interaction, extra soothing, constant contact. She currently looks and speaks like a little grown up. She's held a paint brush and could delicately paint since 1.5, she could dance around the room at 1.5, memorize songs, remember the entire events and outcome of a cartoon show and recall it months later after only seeing it once. She's very literal and asks deep questions and rationalizes intelligent answers. But she insists she's still a baby. Don't tell her she's growing up, taller or not a baby any more. She'll get so upset and cry, insisting that, "I'm  still a baby!" I can't get her to wean, sleep alone, or go any where near her potty. She also can't seem to grasp numbers or letters and she's had plenty of exposure. She seems advanced in language, art, dance, and natural sciences. Throws tantrums when events or sequences are not how she envisioned. Getting her to bed is a battle. She tries to stay awake, barely eats all day because she's always engrossed in a project. Then at 3am she's begging for food. We have some smart people in our family, but a lot of OCD, anxiety, depression, and addiction and alcoholism. My husband and I don't drink or smoke. He was an alcohol and addict but got clean and stayed clean 10 years ago. Still what a lineage to pass on. We also just had a series of stressful events. we moved out of our house in december, drove around the midwest and lived out of hotels for a month. then went to stay with family their dog gave her horrible dog bite injury to her face in January 2013. It meant hospital time and will need plastic surgery. Her beautiful face is disfigured on one side. What effects could Thisbe having? She talks about it and asks to be reassured that the dog won't bite her any more. Does she need therapy? Can a 3.5 year old have PTSD? Thanks for any input!
The diagnosis of PTSD is not as important as recognizing that this event was traumatic for your daughter. However, in context, it does not have much if anything to do with the overall picture you portrayed. It's clear your daughter id advanced developmentally in some ways; it's equally clear she is slower in development in other areas. It would help clarify the picture if she were evaluated by a developmental pediatrician. By the way, there's no need to worry about letters/numbers - she is only three. Perhaps some of your expectations need to be adjusted and the developmental pediatrician can help you with that. Finally, you do need some help with behavior management to address the behavioral issues you described. A pediatric behavioral health clinician can help you with that.