Granddaughter sleep issues
My daughter, son-in-law and almost 3 year old granddaughter live with us.  She will not take a nap without  a lot of crying and often physically hitting and clawing at her parents or myself if we try to sit or lay with her to help her, nor will she stay in her room without screaming and crying to the point of vomiting.  Should they let her stay awake and not nap, she is very grumpy and will eventually fall asleep later in the day, which affects her ability to go to sleep at night in the first place.  We try to get her nap in before 3-4 o'clock and only let her sleep an hour most of the time. She has a very difficult time sleeping at night, usually waking in the middle of the night as well.  This has been going on for months.  Tough love?  Put her in her room and let her cry it out?  Continue to sit with her and I even try to rub her back to relax her?  It has been going on 30 minutes now and they are still upstairs with her, in their room, trying to get her to rest.  Yesterday I worked with  her about 45 minutes and she would almost fall asleep and then fuss and kick and wake herself up.  Additionally, she has difficulty not getting her way and transitioning if she is doing something she wants to do.  She will also react about the same when upset....crying, shrill yelling, hitting at us, etc.  This doesn't seem normal, although I see other people's comments with the same issue.  My daughter had some temper tantrums for a short period I recall, but NEVER lasted so long or were so violent.  Depression does run her father's side and she was diagnosed with it in late elementary school.  Are these signs of abnormality for my granddaughter?  This has been going on since before she was 2 and will be 3 this month.  HELP!

This discussion is related to My 3 yr. old will not sleep.
no I dont think it is a sign of abnormality but her parents could take her and get it checked out.Many children do not want to nap after 3 year old , so to try and make her is causing some trouble .Why do you feel shes needs a nap when in fact she is saying she doesnt need it ?
I would not force the naps if it is causing so much upset.  It's not worth it.  My son stopped taking naps at about age 3.5.  It just go to be too much of a fight, some kids like their naps and willfully take them, while others don't do it so easily.

She sounds like a high intensity child and I'm sure it's not easy for you at your ages to be dealing with this, but I think it's great you are concerned enough to post.  I';m sure her parents appreciate your help too.

Is she kept fairly active during the day?  

I can remember at three my son having tantrusm, even at 4 and five.  Not so much now at 6.  

My son used to hit a lot when he did not get his way and he would get angry too.  Still does to a point, but it's lessened a lot. He hits much less, thankfully... He's six though.

My son has sensory processing disorder. YOu can look this up on the net, see if it fits your granddaughter. She might just be going through a phase, hopefully that will go quickly..  Some kids do have long tantrums. Have htey talked to their child's pediatrician?