Child Behavior Expert Forum
Grumpy 3 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Grumpy 3 year old

My 3 year old son has a serious grump problem. For example this morning he had just woken up and his first words to me were "I don't like you, I'm mad at you" I asked him why he was mad at me. He said he just was. In the next breath he wanted me to hold him. He is always angry. He has trouble playing with other children because he gets mad and hits when he does not get his way. He also hits me when he's mad and even bites.  Disipline is nothing but a big joke to him. He is extremely shy and if an adult (even Grandparents and sometimes dad) try to get attention from him, he tells them he doesn't like them and then hides his face. I am a stay at home Mom. My children have always been very attached to me. We play alot together and do fun things. I just don't understand why he acts the way he does. His brother who is 4 is the total opposite. Any input would be much appreciated.
You may be witnessing the temperament of your son,  rather than the early signs of something like a mood disorder. It's best to be prepared to 'roll with the punches'; don't take the remarks personally. Be sure to use immediate time out if there is any aggressive behavior. It's one thing to be grouchy; it's another thing to hurt people.