Child Behavior Community
HELP I FEEL DISCRIMINATED

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

HELP I FEEL DISCRIMINATED

My Son just started his first year of Kindergarten on Aug 19,2009. The school is smal just preschool to 2nd graders. He goes in at 8:25 and comes out at 11:45. Since the first week of school its the same routine over and over please come pick up your son he wont get out under the table, he is running around in class again. He opened the class room door and is out in the hallway. Making noises distracting the other children. Eventually took all my sons toys out to garage to see if it will help him pay attention he did cry about his toys taken away, but an hour later he had forgotten all about his toys. Friday the 21st my husband volunteered at the school for the last two hours he said he was making noises but he asked my son to stop. Eventually he finished that day and was doing good. Monday I volunteered and he was doing good, but the last minutes he began to cry because he wasn't going to eat lunch in school. The next day I was not able to stay because I had some things to do an hour passed they called me from school saying that he was acting up. When I went to pick him up he was crying on the floor at the office. I had asked the teacher that day that he would be seen the Dr. after school. The school advise me to let the Dr. know of the way he was acting. The Dr. gave me a free sample that he advise that I will be giving to my son at my own risk some pills called Strattera. That he will be seen a neurologist or someone to get examine but it will take a month or two for that. Dr. gave me a note to give to school that my son wont be attending class until next Monday aswell a next apt in two weeks. That same day I called the school office but the lines were busy as well as the next day then I explained what had happened to my son to school secretary she said she will have teacher call me back. So the teacher and I decided to have my son go back to school the next day for just 2 hours since I was not going to give him any pills. So I took him to school that same day I asked teacher if she would like me to stay she responded no its just two hours. I went to office were I spoke to principle and the secretary. They said that were willing to help me get help from school to get a sycologist for my son as well have a specialist examine him during school hours in class and set up a date to attend a meeting regarding the response of how he did during the exams. I was very pleased to hear that the school was going to help. When i left the school I had just arrived home when I received a call to come back to pick up my son. As the min I arrived at school I see my son very calm playing with some cubes and then the school principle came up to me at a deep voice stating your son is behavior is not tolerant in this school that he was just a guest and that if she wanted she can take him out of the school I replied excuse me what did u just said about not wanting my son in this school but didn't u just said and hour ago that you were willing to help my son and me. I felt very discriminated that I went to the school district to speak to the director even though the director apologized for principle attitude I feel gang up at my son school and humiliated know.  I have an apt that the principle set up for me to talk with her tomorrow. I don't know what to do no more I am very stressed out.  

This discussion is related to Our son having problems listening in Kindergarten.
Hi, I am very sorry to hear of the difficulty you are having with your son.  It is so hard when things like this happen----  my son had some issues in preschool and was later diagnosed with sensory integration/ processing disorder which is a neurological developmental delay.  My son is very smart but his nervous system is off and if looks like bad behavior to others.  School is where it is the worst.  Anyway, he is now 5 and after occupational therapy is doing much much better.

What country do you live in?  I'm guessing the US.  We have laws protecting our children and their education in the public school system.  Is this a public school system.  Private is a whole other issues and they can indeed turn someone away.  The school seemed to be going along the usual lines with your son that a public school system does---  identify a problem, talk to parents, recommend school eval, etc.  They come up with a plan to help your child's behavior and learn their curriculem.  If a child's behavior is so disruptive or abusive to the other kids in class, they will remove a child from class.  They do have to protect all kids and their ability to learn too.  So, I imagine they will work with your son----  but have issues until a plan (IEP, they are called) is set into place.  Perhaps an aid in the classroom would help.  If you are at a private school, you may need to go into the pubic school system.  They are REQUIRED to provide services to help children in school. private is not and often don't have the resources to do it anyway.  
As far as pills, I would want a diagnosis by someone qualified as a specialist in assessing kids.  My son has sensory integration disorder which can look like ADHD but is not----  pills would do him no good and they have side effects.  If your son does have ADHD--- pills can help (although they aren't magic).  Good luck and it is hard figuring out what is going on with a child.  He is probably very uncomfortable on the inside and acting out because of it.  Poor guy.  Be his advocate, stick up for him and be strong.
I concur with the above post from specialmom, and yes be your childs advocate,  I feel the teachers/school have been unable or unwilling to cope with your child,what is his behavior  like at home ,have you problems with him when he is with you.