Child Behavior Community
HELP with my 5 1/2 daughter peeing on herself at school and at night!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

my daughter will be turning 6 in December and started peeing on herself in school and wetting the bed.  What do I do?  I already bought pull ups for this.  I have had numerous heart to heart talks to her about if anything is bothering her, does she feel it before it gets to the point for an urgency & she says yes but she doesn't know why she does it but she says she doesn't feel like going to the bathroom.  It's so bad I don't know what to do anymore.  I have tried the whole reward thing also. I am running out of ideas, help!
Is this her first year in school?  Some kids just don't like the bathroom there.
My daughter also has a resistance to using the bathroom. Although she also has autism, I think I can help you. She rarely has accidents, but she will wait and wait and wait until she has to run. Her teachers let her go to the bathroom completely alone. No other kids are in the room and the teacher is just around the corner. When they do this it takes away some of the anxiety and she is able to use the potty. If they don't she will hold it until she comes home. Since my daughter has sensory needs (she gets overwhelmed easily by light and sounds) she will also often use the bathroom in the dark. It's just more comfortable for her. Never punish a child for having accidents. Just keep trying until you find what works for her. Talk to her teachers and see what they have to say. If she is an only child it might be awkward for her to pee around the other children.
If this is new, I would take her to the doctor.  There may be a medical reason for this, and not a psychological one.  Good luck!
    Two very good points.  You need to rule out anything medical like a UTI (simple test) and yes, going to the bathroom at school can be very scary for a child.  So getting the teacher involved in the process is important.
    At home, you definitely want to reduce fluid intake during and after dinner and make sure she tries to use the toilet before going to bed.
For a situation involving incidents in both the night and daytime you should immediately have her seen by a Physician.  These could be the symptoms of something serious like a bladder infection or kidney problem.  On a lighter side it may be also be possible that it is a dramatic growth spurt.  It's common for elderly persons to lose muscle strength which causes their bladder to sag lower than normal.  It's a proven medical fact that a sagging bladder leads to more frequent urges and less time to deal with those needs.  So on the minor end of things it could be that she grew really fast causing the bladder to sag down until her muscles catch up again.  This would then cause her to feel the need to go, but she would start before she could reach a toilet.  It would also cause her to wet overnight since this situation causes more frequent releases as well.

A doctor can tell you exactly what is the problem.  But you should have her seen immediately because these symptoms could be related to an infection!  I don't mean to scare you at all.  That's just one of the possibilities to consider when a child has frequent accidents at night and day.  The bodies organs all consist of muscles and veins, and if anything is out of place it can stop working correctly.  I think you should always have the physical side of things checked out first.  If you don't find anything there.  Then check out the emotional side next.  Your description sounds more like a physical effect.  And don't forget that doctors are civil servants just like police and firemen; he/she is obligated to serve you.  So you make sure to tell them all the details of your situation and don't let them give you a quick answer.  Doctor's are people and they can get caught up in this fast-paced life we live and forget to slow down for all the facts.  So you make sure that he/she hears all of the facts and everything you want to tell them.  Tell them everything that's going on.  That way you can get the right diagnosis the first time!  I hope that it is as simple as a growth spurt.  That was what they made overnight pants for.  It's nothing new at all, they had plastic shorts on the 50's.  So don't get too upset or worried.  Just have a good talk with your doctor and go from there.  It's common for kids her age to have a small hiccup and then they bounce right back!  Make sure it's nothing important, and if it's not, then handle it as a part of human life, to ease her over the small hurdle.  Making too big of a fuss could stress her out and escalate the problem.  I think that should solve it nicely.  If it doesn't improve after several weeks and the doctor finds nothing to diagnose then you should see a therapist.  The main thing is not to over stress your daughter with worries and anxieties.  The more calm she is, the better she will be able to handle this unfortunate situation.