Child Behavior Community
Head banging
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Head banging

My son is 8 and continues to bang his head on his pillow to fall asleep and often engages in this behavior in the backseat of the car.  I think it is strange, but the last time I asked the Pediatrician she told me not to be concerned.  Should he have grown out of this by now?  Is this anything to worry about?
Related Discussions
-9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi. My son was a head banger but he was two and he only did it in his sleep, I was quite concerned and the doctors told me not to worry if it was hurting him he wouldnt do it. 6 months later he ended up with two turned eyes and Im very sure this has come from the hard constant banging against the end of his cot. Your son is much older and wiser I dont think he would bang his head against something so hard. Let him just do it in his pillow to help him fall asleep it must relax him.Most of us do or think of something to help uis relax off to sleep.  Maybe he has heard you talking about your concerns so he has began doing it while awake in the car for attention. Or is he stressed about something while hes doing it in the car, and trying to relax himself. Im sure he will grow out of this and then there will be something else to worry about as there always is with our children. Best wishes!!
Blank
I am a 22 year old female and I bang my head in order to go to sleep....There is nothing to worry about :) I came out perfectly fine
Blank
My cousin did this until he was 12 and is now at the top of his class in school and is attending Harvard next year. So do not worry!!!! Maybe he will be a little genius:)
Blank
If you are really concerned you could try to help your child develop and new way to self soothe. I shake my leg,bouncing it up and down vigoursly.. the movement is highly soothing , is  more sociallly acceptable and far less likely to cause injury.
Blank
my brothers and i were head bangers as well it helped us go to sleep too. my sons' are also headbangers too. ther is also a name for it it's called headbangers syndrome. my brothers and i turned out fine we are successful adults now but outgrew the headbanging. my twin sons' do it sometimes still but not as much as they used to.no worries just a phase as time no one really knows!
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Child Behavior Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank