Child Behavior Community
Help for my five year old.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Help for my five year old.

Hi! i have read a lot of the post that other people have left and there has been a lot of really good advice so i figured I would give it a try. I am new at this so please bare with me. I am having problems with my five year old. He is in Kindergarten this year and since the beginning of school he has had more bad behavior than good. Notes are being sent home everyday about the "bad choices" he makes wether it is hurtingother students,  not listening, or something else. I have talked to him and he understand what is he doing wrong but goes right back to doing it. I have tried everything i can think of to help him but nothing seems to be working. I have tried taking away things that he likes doing, we have tried a points chart for when he has good behavior, time out, and more but i cant find anything to help. I try to do everything that i think is best for him but nothing is helping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated i am at my wits in.
-9 Comments Post a Comment
well have you ever looked up love and logic? it is a great parinting class that haas helped many people i know. my foster mother teaches this class and i reliy on it. im 22 and help many diffrent people with kids and i have found that love and logic has worked the best.
teko, i see what you are saying about the punishment for something that happens in the morning. I have went to school with him to help out and while i was there i noticed that he was doing other stuff then what he was suppose to do but so were other kids. They say that he is loud, doesnt listen when told to do something, is rude or mean to other kids and etc but I haven't seen all those problems at home (but he is also an only child here). The only policy i know the teacher has is time out away from the other students or not joining in on the class room activities...which i dont 100% agree with since the main reason he is there is to learn and what learning is he doing if he is being taken out of class and put by himself. I have tried the reward thing. We put a sticker on the calendar for days he has no notes or bad behavior from school and at the end of the weeks he gets a dollar for every sticker but that really isnt working either. I have looked into changing teachers but all the other classes are full. I have taken him the doctor and he said that he doesnt think he is hyper active but just being a five year old boy. He was in preschool last year and there were a few problems but not as many as this year. So you can see where I am at wits end with what to do to help him understand the proper school behavior. Thanks for the advice though
I too have a 5 year old boy in Kindergarten.  We have been doing OK until the last couple of weeks.  We have been getting notes home for everything from not listening to today, tearing up a school toy.  Most issue are not listening or following directions, but have not been able to get him under control.  We are planning to go to school tomorrow (mom and dad) to talk with his teacher to see what their level of concern is and what they are doing in the class to work with him to stop.  My son has always been active, he rises in the morning very early and will go all day at full speed.  We do find that if he is involved in organized sports, this seems to help.  He is an only child, but has been enrolled in school since he was very small.  I guess I am looking for advice on what else to try as I am tied of fighting it out every night.  All this struggling for good behavior cannot be helping anyone.  Thanks for any advice anyone may have.  
Hi, I too have a five year old in Kindergarten and I am at my ends whit with her. For the last couple of months we have been having problems at school.  At first I thought it was fixed when her God Parents stepped in and starting asking for her grades everyday. At first it worked because she was afraid of getting in trouble by someone other than mommy.  That too went away and I was fed up by this type so I started spanking every time she brought home a C or worse. If you know Iike I know, that got old.  I even went so far as to take everything out of her room except educational toys and her bed. Still, no change.  Her teacher has called three times this week and I feel like I want to fall off the face of the earth. I am clueless on what I should do to solve this problem. We have a parent and teacher conference at the end of the week so, hopefully there will be some type of resolution but I dont know. What scares me the most is the Xmas holiday, too much time out of school and readjusting once she goes back.  I try my best not to be an upset mom and talk and ask questions but boy I tell you, its like talking to two different children.