Child Behavior Community
Help my 3 year old pees in his room

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Help my 3 year old pees in his room

I need HELP!!!! My oldest son keeps peeing in the same spot in his room. When I ask him why he does it, he says that it is because he does not like the tile in his room. My husband and I spent over a week reduing his whole room and now he hates it. But other than peeing in his room he says he loves his room. I have taken toys away, I took his TV away and so on. I told him that when he pees he does not get to do anything fun. I have tried to talk to him about it and nothing is working. When he goes a day without peeing in his room we reward him for being good, but then after two or three days he does the same thing again. It is always in the same spot and after he does it most of the time, not all of the time he will come out and tell me that he peeed in his room. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE. I am so affraid that if nothing gets done about it now, he is going to continue to do this. He gets so much attention when he is good, and does not pee, but when he pees I get so upset that I do not want to talk to him for a while. I worry that he is never going to stop. I have looked all over online and I can not find anything that helps. I have asked his Dr and he said he will grow out of it. But what if he does not. My husband and I spent so much money on his room, and he is destroying it all one peice at a time. WHAT SHOULD WE DO??????????
I need help bad on this one. I do not have a clue whare to even start. I have tried everything that I can think of.
Rika's helpful suggestion aside,  (???? Oh,  New Orleans,  I think I get it now)  I do think you need to take a more powerful stance.  If he pees in the room,  he doesn't get to go in there for the next 24 hours.  He'll have to sleep on the couch or wherever, sorry,  the room has pee in it.  

I think you need to stop giving this obnoxious behavior so much attention,  and just make it clear that if he pees in his room,  he doesn't get to have a room.   Stop rewarding him for being "good" - it's isn't really "good" to not pee in your room.

So,  tomorrow,  at breakfast make this clear.   If you pee in your room today,  you'll have to clean it up (and make the clean up process VERY elaborate and painstaking) and you won't be able to go back into your room for 24 hours.  Don't act passionate,  just state it.  

First off I would like to say that I feel it is pretty sad that the only thing you have to say is to beat my child. Not everyone beats their children and that is not always the answer. Spanking does not always help.

RockRose,

we will try your advice. My husband and I are at a loss with this, and maybe this will do it. I thank you for your thoughts, at least they are something that I could do. I could not beat my child.
I hope this is something that will help. Tonight he peed again and broke a 250.00 phone. I think he peed after he broke the phone. I wonder if the peeing is a derect resault of doing something wrong. But we will try you Idea, I look forward to more thoughts thank you
I hope it works out for you,  babybearcub.  

I don't know,  in light of purposely breaking the phone. .. what's going on with him?  Why is he SO angry?  

I don't know now that I would lock him out of his room.  Something is making him not care that you two are  so frustrated with him.

He is doing the equivalent of flipping you two the finger.  If you can figure out why,  that would solve this.

URGGGGGG,  this must be so frustrating!  

Hope you can figure this out and solve this problem.

Wow , I am going through something similar with my son. He peed in his room and when I asked why, he said he just wanted to. I told him it was very disgusting and would make the room smell. I also told him he would get all his toys taken away and he was sent to the corner. He seemed to understand and was remorseful. But he is only 3. Then just tonight I was sitting here watching tv with him and he was hiding beside the arm chair I asked what he was doing and when I looked he had peed right there while I was sitting right near him. I was very angry and sent him to bed and talked to him again about it. I want to understand why this is happening. My daughter is about to turn 1 and my husband is about to come home from Iraq in a month and I was thinking maybe the excitement and tension in the house is the cause. Also I have generalized anxiety disorder I try to hide my symptoms from my children so they don't pick up on the stress but lately my anxiety has been very bad. I was wondering if this is somehow because of me.
I have a 6 year old son who I just found out is peeing in his room and telling us the cat must have done it! But he told my mother-in-law he  was the one doing it and not to tell me and my husband. We also have a 1 year old daughter, I am not sure if it is because of her or her is just to lazy to go downstairs to the bathroom.