Child Behavior Community
Help with 6 Year old at school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Help with 6 Year old at school

My son will be six in three months time, he is in kindergarden and has just received his report back, the teachers comments state that he has become a very sensitive and is easily upset. I have asked him about this and he says there are two boys that are bigger and stronger then him and they fight, typical case of bullies

I do not want to involve the school as he finishes in 5 days time and entering primary school

When I speak to him he cries about it. I want to help him get over this any help?
As he is leaving the school you wont have the problem for much longer, I think you should ask the teachers to watch out for him, bullies should not be tolerated and they will be bullying others also aswell as your son. Speak out ...
I think that I too would contact his teacher.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't.  If there are children there doing the wrong thing, then they should address it for everyone's sake.  Not just your boy's but so that these other kids also learn what is acceptable and won't isn't.  

I had a boy that was 'bugging' my son on the bus.  He is a year older and while my son wasn't his only target, it was almost every day that he was doing something to him.  I did two things.  I actually just went ahead and called the other boy's mom and had a mother to mother conversation.  My son's not perfect and I don't expect other kids to be but better to problem solve an issue than to let it sit.  The other mom agreed and I will tell you--------------  not once has this boy touched my kid or bugged him again.  He wrote a note of apology to my son and leaves him alone.  The other thing I did was tell my son's teacher.  She was ready to take action if it started back up because no one likes a child to be bullied.  

So, I think you should tell he teacher.  I also think you should have dialogue with your son about what he can do.  I gave my son the words to say to his bully.  It didn't work in his case----------  but he felt somewhat empowered by knowing what to say in that situation.  This could be a teachable moment for your boy.  good luck
I would still go to the school no matter what. Thats just my opinion. Will those kids be going to the same school?  Are they fighting with him or the other kids?
   Another thing to think about is what if these two kids are in the same primary school with him?  You definitely need to find out who they are.  Show him the class photo if necessary and have him point the kids out to you.  When school starts, make sure his new teacher knows about these kids.  Actually, I would contact the principal and if the kids are at the same school, make sure they are not in the same room.  And I agree with the above, you should contact the school and let them know what is going on.  If possible this should be recorded and sent on down the line.  His teacher should be able to help with this as she has seen the result of the other kids actions.
   And along with what specialmom said, I would let your son know that bullies just pick on kids.  Its nothing personal.  He did nothing wrong except to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  But he was right in talking to you, because it may help other kids.