Child Behavior Expert Forum
Help with my 6 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Help with my 6 year old

When my 6 year old started kindergarten a couple of months ago we had no idea we would run into so many issues. My son was expelled from private kindergarten, he is sent home from public school at least once a week and suspended 5 times. We are on waiting list to have him evaluated and have given the school permission to evaluate him for Special Ed. He will throw fits in class when upset. He has thrown chairs, flipped tables, hit teachers, etc. He blurts out answers to questions, becomes extremely upset when children are singing, has a hard time transitioning from one activity to another. He doesn't understand the concept of personal space. The school psychologist told me they were looking at the possibility of moving him to a different school that handles children like him better. They said they think he has an 'behavioral disorder'. But they don't think he has ADHD. What are the other possibilities? I want to be able to do research to find ways to help my son, but I have no clue where to start!
While it is useful to educate yourself, the most important thing you can do right now is to arrange an evaluation for your son with a pediatric mental health clinician (e.g., psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, clinicial social worker) who will evaluate him and tell you what is occurring from a mental health standpoint. After that you will be in a better position to do some of your own investigation. The evaluation at school to condsider the special needs issue is a good idea.
My son is like that too.  You can read my story if you like.  You need to have a consistant punishment/reward program for good and bad behavior at school.  He may have oppositional defiance disorder, that is what they think my son has.  So, just hang in there until you can get help from the school and/or a therapist.  They cannot only help your child but help you deal with the problem at home.