Child Behavior Expert Forum
Hiding things

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Hiding things

I'm desperate!Two basic problems. One my child liesThis is not your normal every child lies. She lies when it doesn't matter. It happens so much that I don't believe anything she says. My child is 10. Second problem is she stuffs things. Instead of putting something back she will take a lot more time and energy to stuff the item where it doesn't belong. Right now she has almost all her socks and other dirty cloths hidden in a draw underneath her bed. You may say every kid does this but do they all take the time to cover them up with other items when one foot away is the proper place to put them.With her dirty cloths she has juice box containers, cheese containers, DVD scrtched up. Behind the TV she has hair balls from her brush and cereal. All her other garbage in stuffed in between her wall and rocker. In her closet she has unscrewed all the eye hooks 1/2 inch depth that held her jewelry and put all the jewelry in a pile.When I complain her father asked her why she took them down she said she bumps into these 6 little hooks so she took them down. His response is thats why. She chews her finger & toenails. She picks her nose until it bleeds and wipes it on the wall. I can't begin to tell you the many strange things she does like instead of putting her hair ties in her top drawer she will stuff them behind a mirror or take the time to stuff them under lotions I keep in a small can these stuffing take way!!longer than just doing the right thing.  These are only the things that have happened in the last 7days. In the morning she can't get ready for school without total supervision.By total supervision I mean eyeballing everything she does.Even while you are literally eyeballing her she will try not to do the right thing. All I ask her to do is Get dressed, put PJ's in drawer,comb hair,eat breakfast,and brush teeth.I don't even know how to describe what happens but no matter how much time she has she will not do these things.She will lie about all of it.If you are looking right at her,see her do something,she will lie& forever insist she didn't do it no matter what you do or say to her.I have a knot in my stomach all the time and Im sure life cant be fun for her.My husband and I are diametrically opposed on her behavior.He thinks everything is normal.I have talked to everyone I know, tried looking this up on the internet etc. Nowhere including with my other chilren have I heard of this.My husband has no problem lying and thinks all her behaviors are totally normal.The doctor told my daughter she had to stop picking her nose because she was causing damage. When I showed my husband the stuff on the walls he actually said "Why did you do that?Couldn't you find a kleenex? Next time use a kleenex. When we ask her about something she has done he give her an answer to use instead of letting her think about it. Help me! Maybe if someone else gives me some feed back my husband and I can do something about this together. I dont use email so please respond here
There is no doubt that many of the behaviors you describe can't be viewed as normal. Any one of them in isolation is nothin to be concerned about, but the overall picture warrants concern. What I'd suggest is an evaluation (including psychological testing) by a pediatric mental health professional (best bet would be a clinical psychologist, because testing should be a component of the evaluation). It may well be that your daughter displays an anxiety disorder or other condition that requires treatment. This is not the type of situation that should be handled by 'watchful waiting'.
1 Comment
A related discussion, chewing on sleeves of clothing was started.