Hitting own head
My 18 month old began hitting his own head (against wall, floor, or with hands) during a temper tantrum, sometimes hard enough to leave a bruise. And now my 3 year old does it too when she gets told no. I tell them to stop when the behavior begans, but they still continue. How do I correct this behavior?
It's very natural as they don't have the vocab to let you know what they're thinking or what they're upset about.  It's hard to witness, I know, my 15 month old DD does it.  It's better to tell them to "do gentle" or to "do nice" because if they hear "NO" too much they will begin to tune it out.
It does pass.  Just make sure you watch them closely so they don't hurt themselves.  
If it's a temper tantrum tell them you will talk to them when they're done./  At 3 they are old enough to understand that that behavior does not get them the attention they are seeking.  Ignore it unless they are truly hurting themselves.  All kids get bruises.  It hurts you more than it hurts them I'm sure.
Thanks for the input, I was pretty sure it was normal but it is always good to hear that you aren't doing something wrong...
Yes, that's normal, my nephew did the same thing. It is hard/scary  to watch but they will outgrow it, it's normal behaviour. :)
Don't know about not having the vocab to deal - my son has spoken amazingly well since about 18 months, but yet he started hitting his head in frustration at least 6-8 months ago and it seems to be getting worse.  I think it is literally the frustration of not having control over what they want to do, but not always that they cannot convey themselves verbally.  Also, I find my son gets worse when he's tired/hungry - it seems to be his way of trying to get attention though too, most certainly.  I really hope this ends soon, it drives me and my husband crazy!  We have tried all sorts including ignoring it, but nothing seems to help.  We're just hoping he'll grow out of it soon...