Child Behavior Community
How Do I Stop Nail Biting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

How Do I Stop Nail Biting?

Okay, so I wasn't sure where to post this so.. And I saw one past that was here and I figured this wasas good a place as any.
So, I'm 14 years old and my parents yell at me any time I start biting my nails. I've been biting them all my life. But when I bring up the fact that they can buy me things on the market to help control my bad habit, they refuse and say I need to use my will power. Only problem is I'm not a very willful girl. When they told me that they wouldn't buy me anything to help, I started putting nasty-tasting nail polish remover on my nails and that helped for awhile, but now I'm getting used to the taste of it and it's not helping as much. Every now and then, my nails would start to grow to a point that they actually had grown past the tip of the finger. But then I started biting again.
Now, I'm not biting as much as I used to, but only because I've started biting the skin around my nail to the point where it's red and irritated and it sometimes bleeds. I've always desperately wanted long nails that I could show off, but I'm not sure how to control myself so I can stop biting.
Any suggestions on what to do?
Tags: nails, biting, stop
I am sorry you are having a hard time not biting your nails ,do you know why you bite them do they taste Good? I think this is a habit you have gotten into, have you a favorite Nail you like to chew on, could you cover it with a Band Aid, perhaps ask another relative to get you some of that horrid tasting stuff as a gift, or save up pocket money to get some from the drug store,How about each time you are Tempted you tell your self I am not going to do this today, get busy doing something you enjoy , I expect you do it most when you are bored or not busy.This is not easy but like any habit you break the cycle, make it a Goal with a reward for you when you have conquered it.
I was a nail biter as a kid and gradually grew out of it by the time I finished school. It has been this way for my kids too. We tried the paint on stuff that tastes awful but they eventually tolerated the taste just like you do with the nail polish remover. margypops is right. Make a goal for yourself with a reward at the end of it. Or do like I did...become a nurse-you'll never bite your nails again if you think what bugs might be under them!
I don't do it for a specific reason, I guess. I don't have a favorite nail to bite, except I seem to avoid my left thumb for the most part. That nail is only slightly longer than all the others. Someone suggested I buy something called "Stop Bite" but I've never even heard of it. What are some of the most helpful things out in stores, like CVS or Drugfair?
Thanks in advance
Ask the Pharmacist in the Local drug store they will know,
I found something at DrugFair called Bite No More. Seems to work for me. I'll need it now though, now that I broke up with my bf..
I have been a nail biter for far longer than I care to remember.  I found an amazing book and I no longer feel the urge to bite them.  I use to nibble away without even being conscious that I was doing so.  I thoroughly recommend this book
it is brilliant.