Child Behavior Expert Forum
How can I calm an ADHD child?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

How can I calm an ADHD child?

My 5 year old was just diagnosed with ADHD.  We are currently researching all information on treatment and management.  Although we have not ruled out medication, we are trying to delay it as much as possible.  Sometimes at home he displays amazing feats of hyperactivity.  He truly bounces off walls and furniture with no regard. I understand this is a part of his condition, but without medication, are there any other ways to soothe him and calm him down during these times?  A simple request to calm down never works.  It can be unbearable!  Thank you.
In cases of true neurologically-based hypermotoric behavior of a serious degree, it is very difficult to achieve major changes by way of non-pharmacological means. Having said that, it nonetheless makes sense to be sure that diet/nutrition variables are not contributing to the problem. Also, it is important to reduce environmental stimuli such as noise and movement. And even children who are hyperactive are capable of more focused physical activity under conditions of high motivation. Such conditions vary from child to child, so it's helpful to determine what those conditions are for your son and to exploit them in a  helpful way at times.
To momonquest about Feb. 23 question.  Had also found myself in the same situation.  Had to do large amounts of research also to find an over the counter product that would help calm my son.  We have had great success with a product called beCALM'D made by NeuroGenesis, Inc.  My husband and I found them via the internet.  The product is all natural with only vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.  With any ADHD child their symptoms are worsened if there diet is inadequate.  I consulted his doctor and psychologist about the product.  They are pleased with the saftey of the product and that it has become a nice replacement for meds so far.  Hope you have the same luck.
How long has your child been on BECALM'D, I had my child on it
for a month.  It helped some, but she was still having trouble
focusing in school, couldn't get her work done.  The doctors
are using my daughter as a guniea pig. If this doesn't work, will try this. Nothing is helping her. Without meds, she bounces
off the wall and puts herself and family in danger.
My son had been diagnosed with AD/OD and was unmanageable. I discovered the book, Is This Your Child? by Doris Rapp. She has several other books including Is This Your Child's World? Go to: www.drrapp.org  The basic message is that there are a whole host of behaviors and phyiscal symptoms that could be caused by food intolerances and/or environmental allergies.  Check it out!

We found through elimination diets that our son's explosive/angry behavior was caused by corn products. Removing corn from his diet has given us our son back. We also questioned bipolar disorder and depression. There is some evidence of bipolar symptoms in my husband's family. I believe now these symptoms are/were probably undiagnosed food intolerances.

It is a lot of work to change your diet. We basically eat only whole foods. It beats dosing out the paxil everyday - trust me!
My 9 y/o has A.D.D. she was diagnosed when she was 7.  Until I ever knew about this condition I fed her what ever she wanted, not that she ate alot but she was always a hard to manage child.  I have found that with proper medication and a good diet she can contribute alot more.  Red dye seems to be a trigger to her condition, whenever she has cherry juice or strawberry jam she runs in circles like a wild child.  I don't keep candy of any kind in the house or snacks that contain excess sugars such as dunkaroos, no more chocolate pudding or chocolate milk, brown bread instead of white.  You can buy snacks such as hot rods, chewy bars, cereal bars or even crackers with cheese and popcorn is a good late night snack.  Routine is very important as well, my daughter knows Friday's is sleep over night and that Saturday she can stay up until I go to bed other than those nights 8pm always.  Bath nights same day and times, meals and any other things should remain constant, if a doctors appointment comes up remind her of it.  A quiet voice has more effect than yelling, keep in mind you may find yourself repeating stuff over and over again be patient and you'll get through it.
A related discussion, very hyper was started.