Child Behavior Expert Forum
How can I tell if my 5yr. old son has ADHD?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How can I tell if my 5yr. old son has ADHD?

I would like to know the symptoms of ADHD and if he does have it what I should do about it, because I will not give him any drugs or medications.  Is there something I can do for him without using something that will zombify him?
Related Discussions
242606_tn?1243786248
It makes perfect sense to inform yourself about ADHD, and I'd recommend you take a look at Russell Barklay's Taking Charge of ADHD. It's an excellent resource for parents whose child displays ADHD. However, an actual diagnosis should be made by way of a thorough evaluation. While on your own you can certainly make conclusions about whether or not you observe certain behaviors, an important part of the diagnostic process is to consider other conditions that can be related to, or also resulting in, the very same behaviors. If indeed your child displays ADHD, medication would not necessarily be recommended. In mild cases we rarely do suggest medication. But in moderate-to-severe cases, medication can be quite helpful. When the medication is effective, the child should have no sensation he/she is on medication; it should not result in a child being sedated. The book I suggested will help you with non-pharmacological interventions as well.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank