Child Behavior Expert Forum
How do you help your child through an OCD block

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son is a senior in high school. He was diagnosed with ADHD as a young child. ( age 5) To help with the hyperactivity we enrolled him in as may sports and activities as possible. Our son excelled in baseball, was a stand out player and made it to the Varsity team as a junior. Due to school politics and cronyism, a freshman was chosen to play varsity ball and took his position, centerfield. This realy threw him and began to manifest itself as an OCD ritual of self doubt, self defeat and total lack of confidence when he would bat. As a youngster this happened occasionally and as one of his coaches, I could talk him down or out of the cycle before the next at bat because I was with him in the dugout. One hit and the cycle would be gone for weeks or even an entire season. As a spectator, now all I can do is support him and provide encouragement after the games. He is aware that he is sabotaging himself and does not know how to break out of it. He has gone from an all star to being pulled as a starter. Each set back makes the hole deeper. I know this is just a sport, but for a 17 year old in high school it is part of his identity. He is an excellent student and has earned a merit scholarship to college. How do I help him break the compulsion?
It sounds like you are doing all you can to be supportive. If your son wants to tackle this, it might be useful for him to schedule a few visits with a sports psychologist. Such a clionician can do wonders to help young people reverse course and overcome self-defeating doubts and self-perceptions.