Child Behavior Community
How to help transition from using a pacifier

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Poor guy.  Our two year old is weaning from his pacifier.  It will be a week ago tomorrow.  He is a hard child, very high needs and busy, and to take his pacifier away is HARD on everyone.  I feel terrible for him as he looks for something to be in his mouth when he relaxes for nap time or bed time.  He went from going to sleep on his own to now we have to lie with him until he is asleep.  Or her FREAKS out.  He just doesn't know how to sooth himself to sleep.  I hate taking it from him, but he is almost 2 1/2, and he loses it all the time, and I spent most of my time looking for it as he followed me crying for it.  I did the right thing, right?  Ugh.  I wish I could just give it to him, he misses it so much!
My son had his pacifier until he was 4.  He was totally addicted to it and very spirited and LOVED his binkie (I have a photo of him on the fridge at age 2 with six binkies--he found them in the suitcase while we were visiting my family).  While I would occasionally read him a book called Bye Bye Pacifier, he would always say, "No way!" when I asked him if he wanted to do the same.  I asked his pediatric dentist about it while we were in for a check-up when my son had just turned 4 and he said that as long as he stops using the binkie by age 5, the cross-bite will straighten out--that the last thing I want if for him to start using his thumb.  I asked him to have a little man-to-man talk with him and he did and my son never used the binkie again after that talk.  I have no idea why it worked that way, but it did.

If having it only at nap time or bedtime isn't working for you and you feel you have to take it from him, that's one thing, but don't give in to other people's snide remarks or judging comments.  You're the one who knows what's best for your son and family and it has to be your decision.
Sorry...it sounded like I was implying that you were being pressued by people making snide remarks about it--I didn't mean for it to sound like that!  I was just remembering how I people would make remarks (and he only used it at bedtime when he was 3 and older) and the comments were tough to take.  One time, while checking out at Wal-mart, I had my son with me (then 3) and I had pacifiers in the cart--when she went to ring them up, she said, "PLEASE tell me you have a baby at home--TELL me these aren't for HIM!"  I told her to mind her own business and do her job.  So, that's what popped into my head when I wrote that comment above--I in no way was implying anything with you!

All the best to you!  I know how tough this is!
,Get him a special toy and dont mention it, instead give him Games, Ball activities, Distraction if hes upset it doesnt take long, how about a new a unusual sippy cup or a regular one for him to drink from, if you let it go he will, dont feed into it.Lots of Fun Reading and distraction.