Child Behavior Expert Forum
Hypothyroidism and ADHD

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Hypothyroidism and ADHD

My 4 years old son is diagnosed just after birth with hypothyroidism. Although his thyroid has normal size and location, apparently it does not work. He takes daily doses of Thyroxin ( Euthyrox ) and his TSH is  around 1. His endocrinologists  is happy with his results. However he has some symptoms of ADHD such as forgetting about discipline and high degree of concentration missing and nervousness  when he is extremely excite e.g during playing with other children . In that cased we have to calm him down to get his attention. This kind of behaviors are not shown up every day, as for couple of days he is very calm and concentrated, but for some days he is very excited and get nervous and angry very fast. Then he screams and does not listen to anybody. I wonder if it is related to his Hypothyroidism or he just have ADHD syndromes. How can we help him?  
Your description is not typical of children with ADHD. I think you can eliminate that as a possibility.