Child Behavior Community
In need of help to get my son to poop on the potty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Its been a week and 3 days since I started potty training my son.  He picked up on peeing on the potty in a day and has been doing a great job with that.  I cannot get him to poop on the potty.  He holds it and is miserable.  He complains of his belly hurting.  We sit him on the potty every 5 minutes because he says he has to poop, but when we sit him down he won't go.  He walks around the house fussing, crying, and has become very clingy.  What can I do to make things easier for him and to help him poop on his potty?  I'm ready to throw in the towel because I'm worried he's going to become constipated or have problems with his bowel movements when he does start to go.  HELP!!
Make sure you are giving him plenty of fiber, so his stools are softer and don't hurt.  Have you tried letting him see your's in the toilet.  This helped our dd when she saw it didn't hurt me...Also, a tablespoon of dark karo syrup will help with constipation.
We have the same identical issues! My son just turned 3 a couple of weeks ago, and I started potty training a few days ago. He was peeing in the potty the first day, and hasn't peed in the bed YET since we started. He will hold his poop also, and cries for a diaper so he can poop (which I have refused).He is very regular and now he's pooped once in 3 days (and that was in his undies). Taking him to his Pedi Friday, hopefully will get some good advice soon. So scary knowing that this it dangerous for them to hold it. I'll pray for ya hun, and let me know if you make any progress, and I'll do the same! Good luck!