Child Behavior Community
Inappropriate Urination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Inappropriate Urination

My 5 year old daughter has been having problems with urinating in inappropriate places.  I went into her room about 4 months ago and I couldn't figure out what smelled like urine.  I asked her numerous times if she had an accident and was hiding it from me.  She stated that she didn't have an accident.  After awhile I started to think that our dog had an accident in her bedroom.  I got out the steam cleaner and proceeded to clean out her room.  When I started to move her bed I found my tupperware containers that she used for snackes with urine in them.  They had been there so long that they had evaporated.  I kept looking in her room and I found that she had urinated in her trash can and about 3-4 snack containers.  My husband and I told her this is not acceptable and she had to help clean up her room and lost some priviledges.  About a month after that my husband and I caught her urinating outside next to a tree.  We sat her down and had a conversation about how some boys urinate outside but since she is a girl that she was not allowed to do that.  Since then we have a standing rule that no one other then the dog is allowed to urinate outside.  Just tonight she was over playing at a friends house and she was caught urinating in there shower.  I don't know what to say about this anymore.  I am starting to think that I should take her to a therapist and figure out what the problem is.  Everytime that I talk to her about it she states that she doesn't know why she did it.  I am going out of my mind as well as being completely embarressed about this whole situation.   Please help.
I think it may be a good idea to get her checked out as maybe she has a bladder infection and it hurts her and she goes frequently, could she be upset about anything,is she happy at school has she any older siblings, if she has how does she get on with them.Ask her if her stomach hurts, and relax on any punishments till you have a handle on what could be happening.
Has this issue been resolved?  My son is doing the exact same thing and I"m at my wits end...I don't know what to do anymore.
This is inappropriate behavior and it may be from an underlying mental health condition that if addressed early on on life can be resolved. You should make an appt with a child psychiatrist or shrink ASAP.
     You have to check out the dates on theses posts.  This one was from 6 years ago.   And at that  point, a visit to a medical doctor as Margy suggested is the more appropriate suggestion.   But thanks for contributing.