Child Behavior Expert Forum
Inconsolable 7 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Inconsolable 7 year old
My 7 year old becomes very upset after( every other) weekend visits with the other parent. The child refuses to do anything but cry when prompted to do homework, bath, finish eating dinner etc.  My child refuses to be responsible for anything except wanting and missing the other parent I don't know what to do. Can I get some advice please?
As much as possible ignore such reactions.
It is not at all unusual for young children to display sadness in the wake of such contact. It' s important that you convey to your child an understanding, supportive, uncritical stance. Your child is entitled to his/her feelings. try to arrange things in a way that minimizes demands in the immediate aftermath of contact, so that your chikld has 'permission' to experiencve the sadness at separation from his/her other parent.
Thank-you. That is helpful advice.

What about the child throwing tantrums about wanting to live with the other parent any time cosequences  for unacceptable behavior occur? At home and at school.