Child Behavior Expert Forum
Infant Head Thrashing

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Infant Head Thrashing
My 9 month old daughter has started (a month or so ago) throwing her head back very hard when she is tired or irritated.  I worry she could get hurt because she'll do it no matter where she is.  I never let her sit on hard floor (other than carpet) because I worry she may thrash her head back and get very hurt.  The frequency of it has increased lately.  She throws her head so hard that I feel she may get whiplash or something - especially when she is in a shopping cart or highchair where the back of her head is not supported.  Is this just normal development or something I should be concerned about?  Thank you!!
As you can see, the behavior occurs when she is depleted. It is not an uncommon phenomenon for children her age. You are taking the sensible precautions, and that is all you can really do.