Child Behavior Community
Is a 3 yr old capable of making up lies about sexual abuse?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Is it possible that a 3 year old child will make up a story about being "sexually abused"? Can this be just to seek attention?
3 year olds can make up storied for attention, but generally the stories would not lead to abuse concerns.
What exactly is this 3 year old saying that makes you suspect abuse?
I have a three and four year old.  And when they make up stories it is what they know.  Or around what they know.  My four year makes up all kinds of stories and I have to find out the source because if the stories were true there would be a lot trouble.  Come to find out alot of my sons stories were from watching tv.  I am a lifetime junky.  Alot of his stories were coming from my tv time.  So before you make yourself insane over this I would look at the people in her life and the things around her.  Has she seen something on tv?  Has she heard someone talking about sex or abuse?  I am sure you know as well as I do kids are smart and they pick stuff up.  I would still keep an eye on how she interact around the people around her including other children.  Because this could be coming from anywhere.  Does she show any signs of being abused other than talking about it. Example has her temperment change? Eating differently? Doesn't want you to leave? Sleeping differently?  Any knew fears?
well i caught her touching her private and i asked her "who did that to her" and she told me her uncles name.... I told her pediatritian about his and she suggested that i contact abuse center, my daughter had a forensic interview and she gave them DETAILED information on what supposedly happened to her. I dont want to believe it!!!!!
Well she said that her uncle touched her private... she told me this after i caught her touching her private and i asked her "who did that to her", thats when she told me that her uncle did.
If she was interviewed by professionals, and she was able to give detailed explanations about sexual behavior, and the professional conclusion was that she has been abused,  then I really think you have to assume this is true, no matter how much you don't want to believe it or how challenging this will be.

Your responsibility is to your child--- you must act in a protective manner of her, regardless of anyone else.
i woudl say no. i  have a three year old daughter and if she made up a lie like that, i would think first of all, how does she know about this at that age.
so yes i would really be concerned. remember to explain to her that her privates are hers and noone elses and only her and mommy can see it  . but i would really investigate.
yeah, i would say you have to seek a professionals help with this one. good luck