Child Behavior Expert Forum
Is a Narcissistic person dangerous?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Is a Narcissistic person dangerous?

My son's father who he has'nt seen in 4 years do to his drug abuse I think is a Narcissistic person. He dos'nt see things the way most people do and he has a extremely big ego.  He use to abuse me physical, and mental.  Now he want's back into my son's life.  Is a person with Narcissistic dangerous?  And do you know with is the likly hood of someone abusing a wife, will they also abuse a child?  The court tells me its a different realinship so he probley wont, but that dosn't help my fears?
A narcissistic person is not necessarily dangerous, but such a person is unable to display empathy and to put others' needs ahead of their own. I wouldn't pay much attention to the diagnosis per se - the real issue is the behavior and the capacity of your son's father to act in a mature and responsible fashion. His history would call into doubt his ability to engage in a sensible relationship with your son, and I would not underestimate the role that anger might play in the relationship, even though there might not (from the court's point of view) be reason to fear physical abuse. I'd proceed very cautiously with this and, if there is to be any face-to-face contact, it should be supervised for a while.