Child Behavior Expert Forum
Is it normal for a 7 year old to touch his brother's genitals in t...

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Is it normal for a 7 year old to touch his brother's genitals in the tub?

I have a 3 1/2 year old son and 7 year old son that I sometimes bath together to save time.  Last evening I found my 7 year old son touching my 4 year old's penis.  I explained to him that this is a very private area which he very well knows and he also knows that is is wrong to do this.   Should I be concerned about this behavior?  I have seen my 4 year old in the past joking with him that he will urinate on him.  I know from this point on I can never bathe them together again.  Do I have a valid concern?  Thanks for your time.
Dear Daniel,

I don't think you need to be overly concerned. You have set a sensible, reasonable limit - that is the responsible thing to do. The behavior is not outside the norm for a child so young. My guess is that he will adhere to your expectation.

As long as you are present to supervise the bath, there's no need to stop bathing them together. It's still fine at their ages, if you prefer to do so. Should the behavior occur again, I'd talk with your son about how you'll stop the joint bathing (which they probably enjoy) if he does not show respect for his brother's body.