Child Behavior Expert Forum
Is my 11 year old exhibiting serious mental problems?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is my 11 year old exhibiting serious mental problems?

My 11 year old daughter has always been somewhat of a handful.(when younger had difficulty sleeping cried a lot several temper tantrums a day).  She is now an excellent student/athlete and has many friends.  However, she is often furious.  She has just this week turned over all the furniture she could in a room threatened to run away from home and school and called me a *****.  The furniture turning resulted from her father telling her she had to get up at 5;30 to go to mass with him on ash Wedensday.  Her father and I have lived apart since she was 4.  She has an older sister and younger brother who have never demonstrated behaviour like her.  I don't know if she is just trying to get her way and being manipulative or if she has more serious problems.  She is very angry with her Father and his treatment of her.  She is also angry at me becasue I can't "fix things with her father". We talk a lot about things and she is very communicative.  She often calls herself stupid and says she hates her life She also states she is ugly,dumb and can't do anything right.  I reassure her and spend a lot of time with her but she shows no improvement.  I have lined up a therapist but my ex is not consenting so it is taking forever.  It is important for you to know that my ex has filed for additional visitation with the children.  He told them this and they are all very upset as they do not want to see him more. Her behavior has become more frequent since this occured  but it has always been a factor.