Child Behavior Community
Is the boy I babysit just a late bloomer or should his parents be conce...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Is the boy I babysit just a late bloomer or should his parents be concerned?

I babysit a 2 year old 40 hours a week and have been doing so for 4 months. My concern is that his communication skills are not where they should be, among other things. Here is a list of concerns and/or possible delays...

-Speaks less than 20 words regularly
-Speech is unclear
-Will sometimes try and copy speech but will usually just babble when copying
-Will follow only very few simple directions. No 2-step directions
-Usually does not point to object when he wants something. Will try and get it himself, stare at it, or throw a fit
-Cannot answer simple questions (even after taught over and over), such as identifying body parts or colors

He is also a fairly serious boy in my opinion. He will smile and run around and play, but it's very hard to get him to actually laugh. He mostly will just copy other peoples laughter. And he sleeps a lot. If I let him take a 4 hour nap after lunch, he will.

His parents and I are not really that close, and I don't feel like we have a really open line of communication. However, if this boy needs to be seen by a specialist, I know that I need to confront the issue regardless. Does this issue need to be addressed right now, or should it wait until he has had more time to develop?

I am not sure on this one.  how many months old is he?  My son at age two spoke no words and he would get very frustrated  and at two had a hard time with colors.  Some are more seriuos.  Does he look you in the eye and does he play with other kids?  Of course, at that age, kids don't always play that well together either.