Child Behavior Community
Kids getting naked under a sheet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Kids getting naked under a sheet

I have a friend who sometimes baby sits for me. She has a two year old son and an eight year old daughter.  Two weeks ago she caught my daughter and her son under a sheet together ( in her living room) and her son was naked.  I told my daughter this is wrong and not to do it again. Well, it happened again yesterday. This seriously bothers me.  Am I over  acting?  How should I approach my daughter about this a second time?
I forgot to add that my daughter is seven.
I would talk to someone.  I don't think you are overreacting.  There is an 8 year age difference between the 2.  Were they doing anything in particular under the sheet?  I know she is your friend, but I think she needs to watch them maybe a little more closely if this is happening.  It's a fine line with kids on what is normal and what isn't.  Maybe even speak to your pediatrician or family doctor about it.
I asked my friend was my daughter naked too and she said, "No."   Her son is two, my daughter is seven, that makes a five year difference.  My child is an only child. I asked her why she didn't tell his Mom that he was naked and she said she was afraid she would be mad. I explained to her again that being under a sheet with someone who is naked is not acceptable and not to do it again. I told her she must tell on him not to get him in trouble but so his Mom can  correct him.  
I'm sorry.  I misread.  I thought I read that your daughter was 11.  The best I can tell you is to maybe speak to, like I said, your doctor for your daughter as I am not one.  But I understand your concern.
you stupid *** bithch
Your comment is really offensive and uncalled for.  And I am not really sure who you are responding to---but unneeded..

Michelle6810--do just as you already told your daughter--reinforce that she should not be under blankets with anybody naked--even though I do understand how quick little one can take their diapers off--and it may just be totally innocent play.
Sorry, but this is crazy...A 7 year old has got no malice to understand  the complexity of the cultural/social and moral implications of your words..."It is wrong to be under a sheet with some one who is naked".
Children dont have the understanding or perception of nakedness as adults. They are not yet sexually mature to even see anything wrong, harmful or imoral about another person being naked. Like we adults do ...
And quite frankly...what is the matter with that? If she was under a sheet with a naked boy at age, say,15 ...Then, maybe it would've been wrong and quite something to worry about...But your are talking about a 2 year old toddler being naked near a 7 year old!
Those two children were only playing. Most likely the baby took his nappy off as they often do, and  they carried on playing because they are not yet as paranoid to believe that the world is so dirty and full of horrible people/things that may harm you and ruin your lives forever!
Linda,   do you have cable?  Are you not aware that children at the age of 9 have raped and killed other children?  We aren't living in the stone age, honey. Has it ever occured to you that I am trying to protect my daughter? Yes, the boy may only be two but when do you start teaching a child right from wrong?  After she's been raped?   Good God woman, I feel my IQ has been lowered 10 points just by reading your comment.
I agree with most posters here, it is not appropriate for your  7yr old daughter to be under sheets or anything like that with a naked toddler. You have to make her understand that she just can't do that. Not in this day and age. She's probably doing it out of innocence but she need to be stopped form doing that ASAP before the worng person catches her doing it and thing it's somehting more then you and her will be in trouble. Tell her if the baby takes his clothes off she is to come out from under whaere ever she is with him at once and come to get you so you can make the kid get dressed.  
Hello Michelle.

Yes, I do have cable. I watch the news, but mostly I read the paper. As I dont really like the way most channels report the news these days.

As to 9 yr old killers. Surely you realize that events such as that one are exceptionally out of ordinary, not every-day life news... So don't panic darling. Children ARE still children, even though we are not in the stone age anymore... Some people's IQ might still be, but that's another issue...

Anyway, I think, and that is me, please respect my opinion, that  protecting your child doesnt mean rising her/him to believe this is an evil world where she cannot even trust a 2 year old child. That is paranoid! I honestly don't think there is a problem with a young child playing naked near a 7 year old. But maybe that is only my European way of looking at it. I am sorry to hear that North American societies are going that way...It must be very hard to live in such a fear...People cannot possibly be happy like that...

Finally, I was just trying to show you another point of view. Another way of looking at it and I didn't expect you to take personal offense because I  have a different point of view.
Linda,
Thank you for enlighting me, however I don't respect your opinion simply because I have read your comments on other posts and you can be right down nasty.  Having been to Europe I must say it is lovely but it has problems as well. Since you like to read, as I do too, perhaps you should go to this sight:  US/European Leaders Unite to Protect Children from Predators.  
Children will be children, I agree, I love mine and I will continue to watch over her and teach her there are some things in the world she can not trust too openly and although I know this little two year old means her no harm, the older boys in the neighborhood, given a chance, just might. She has to be on guard, she has to know what is out there, she has to know how to protect herself.  As for your point of view, all I can say is dream on Alice, wonderland is just around the corner.
I completely agree with you and trying to protect your daughter the way YOU see fit.  You can never be too careful with your children.  The world we live in today is scary, and I feel sorry for my kids in a way that there are all the dangers out there today.  I guess they have always been there to some degree, but my goodness, it's bad now.  I am always trying to educate myself so that I can better protect my kids.  Cudos to you for doing the same!!
Thanks for your support Michele, Katy, TX.......Cudos to you too!
Linda, I don't think anyone is  thinking the 2 yrs old will do anything to the 7yr old, it's to keep people from thinking her 7yr old is doing anything wrong with the 2yr old. ;) Of course the 2yr old is too young to harm the 7yr old, it's the 7yr old  who's motives will be in question which is why it's best that they are not alone anywhere with the toddler being naked. The baby probably took his clothes off for fun and doesn't know any better.  :) It's just not appropriate for two kids with such a big age difference to be playing together alone with one naked that's all.  
Hi there. I just wanted to write and see if I could help. I know you've gotten a lot of comments on this matter, and some have been in an attack like manner. I don't think that's right. You're right to be concernced, what Mom wouldn't be.  I do know, that kids being naked together, is totally within the range of normal though, so there is nothing wrong with your little girl, or the baby , your daugther is totally normal and it's not unhealthy behavior. But I do totally understand why you don't want her to engage in that kind of behavior , and if it makes you uncomfortable, then you have every right  to tell her not to do it again.  I did  want to give you an example:  When I was a little girl, around 6 years old my cousin who is 4 years younger and I  used to run around the house when they came to visit, both of us naked,  both acting silly,  and we actually have a picture of the two of us  jumping out of a bed sheet that had been on the couch that we had jumped under for a minute. And it's a sweet funny cute memory. Nothing sinister, nothing even remotely sexual about it, I had no idea at that age what sex was. But don't get me wrong , I do understand that you're concerned about it. I just wanted to tell you this so that you won't worry and think that there is something wrong with your little girl, or that baby who is still so young. My guess is your daughter didn't initiate this, and it was most likely the baby who got naked, they do that frequently. My 6 month old son is already tugging at his diaper to play with it, if he can get to it!  I also have a 10 year old daughter. I just wanted to write in hopes that you will know that most likely nothing bad is going on.  But definitely if you feel you are uncomfortable, or your little girl is uncomfortable being around the two year old, then you should definitely talk to her about it. You are her Mom, and you know what's best for her.  I hope this helps you some,  take care.
I forgot to mention that my cousin is also a girl.  So perhaps there's a slight difference since they are of the opposite sex.
Thanks Aim for sharing.  When my daughter was two  and it was just she and I at home, I would let her run naked and giggled about it!  But never when we had company. I've always taught her no one touches her butt, her boobies, or her "cat" as we call it.  What concerned me was they were hiding under a sheet, not once but twice. This says to me my daughter knows that she shouldn't be doing this. And honestly, the little boy's Mom and I have snickered about it, but we both agree they shouldn't be doing it. We all know how little boys (and men too) are preoccupied with their yahoos!  At two it's funny, but it's the older boys and men that scare me.  She just has to be taught not to be too trusting....thanks again!