Child Behavior Community
Lack of Appetite

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Lack of Appetite

Hi, I'm at my wits end.  My child was born full term at 890g and 29cm. The Dr's put it down as "unexplained" and said i should thank my lucky stars he's healthy.  We eventually got him home after 3 months in ICU. He's a happy, energetic child and i wouldn't change him for the world, however at 5 years old he weighs only 11kg's! He has NO appetite, and that's been since he was born. He can go without food for a days unless i force feed him, and he keeps asking "why" he has to eat??? He survives on one slice of cheese a day! We've now put him on HGH injections but that has done nothing to increase his appetite (he measures 92cm). So while he's grown 1 cm in 5 weeks (which i am grateful for) he still asks why he has to eat. He is just not feeling hunger.  I am starting to wonder whether something else could be wrong besides the usual Dr response of his case being unexplained! He appears healthy every other way, just is painfully skinny!
What is he like at school does he eat there or when hes with family , do you sit him down with some finger foods, have you tried taking him to the store let him choose food he would like, perhaps a visit to the doctor would be good as he has no appetite. If he was extremly underweight I would think it would affect his energy level, is he drinking okay ,what does he drink?
I've spoken to the teachers, they say he occasionally pretends to be interested in food by messing it around the plate, but he's in Montessori where they do not force the children to eat if they choose not to. So their hands are tied. I've come to a point that if he asks for junk food i'd get it just so he eats but he doesn't want that either. He doesn't even like the taste of a chocolate! I'm starting to think it could be something more serious? His energy levels are surprisingly over the top!? I've been in and out of academic hospitals where they recommended a syrup to increase his appetite, diatitions, herbal remedies etc. Nothing worked. So now we've put him on the hormone injections.They never tested him for anything though. Not sure if i should ask them to? He drinks juice, about 3 bottles a day so he's not dehydrated at all. But that's basically the only thing he's happy to put in his mouth.  He goes through stages where he's so pale he goes gray, but then i force feed him (by that i mean 2 sliced of cheese for breakfast and maybe an egg for dinner). I threatened and pleaded and nothing works. Could it be medical?