Child Behavior Expert Forum
Lack of eye blinking

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Lack of eye blinking

I have a 7 week old son, who appears as though he has some kind of eye disorder.  We have taken him to an Opthalmologist who did an evaluation of him.  He often stares into space endlessly and is very difficult to get his attention elsewhere.   I really think he can see.  I've seen him smile on occasion when I've coaxed him to, and I've watched is eyes move back and forth as they were focusing on toy dangled in front of his face. The doctor noted that he does not blink or react when objects come towards the eye.  (This is the part that concerns us most).  The doctor said that being only 7 weeks old could be immature development, or  possibly a defect of the connection of the eye to the brain.  And said really all we can do is wait it out.  We did schedule another appointment in a month to see if he will develop the blink reflex.  I wondered if you have any additional information or insights or diseases that are have the symptoms listed above?  And is there more we should be doing now, instead of waiting?  Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.  Kraig
Dear Kraig,

I know it can be a major worry when you are facing a possible problem in an infant, and not be able to know right away what might be occurring. This Forum is designedto address matters of child behavior, so I don't regard myself as someone who's qualified to address your son's situation.

It goes without saying that you did the sensible thing by consulting with the ophthalmologist. Was the doctor a pediatric ophthalmologist? If not, and you have access to one, you might seek out another opinion. But it is reassuring that the doctor wants to see your son again soon and folow up on his condition.