Child Behavior Expert Forum
Lack of eye blinking
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lack of eye blinking

I have a 7 week old son, who appears as though he has some kind of eye disorder.  We have taken him to an Opthalmologist who did an evaluation of him.  He often stares into space endlessly and is very difficult to get his attention elsewhere.   I really think he can see.  I've seen him smile on occasion when I've coaxed him to, and I've watched is eyes move back and forth as they were focusing on toy dangled in front of his face. The doctor noted that he does not blink or react when objects come towards the eye.  (This is the part that concerns us most).  The doctor said that being only 7 weeks old could be immature development, or  possibly a defect of the connection of the eye to the brain.  And said really all we can do is wait it out.  We did schedule another appointment in a month to see if he will develop the blink reflex.  I wondered if you have any additional information or insights or diseases that are have the symptoms listed above?  And is there more we should be doing now, instead of waiting?  Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.  Kraig