Child Behavior Expert Forum
Learning Disabled or Not?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Learning Disabled or Not?

Posted By Cathy on March 14, 1999 at 02:05:58:

I have a 14 year old daughter with ADHD.  She is taking dexedrine and
and paxil.  She is on an Individual Education Plan at school and up until recently had fairly consist
grades.  2 years ago the scholl wanted to have her tested and they told me
she has a learning disability in reading and writing although she had an average
IQ.  Is this possible?  I just had her retested by a psychologist who I trust
completely and was told that She is learning disabled in reading, spelling and math.
She is on a 4.8 grade level in reading, 5.1 in math and 4.5 in spelling.  She still has
an average IQ.  Why?  Is she really disabled?  Does she need LD classes?
She is very forgetful, inattentive, easily irritated and often quick to anger.  She says
that she knows that she knows that she is not like the other kids but she just wants to be.
She is a very pretty child with a lovely singing voice and a very loving disposition with
people that she feels secure with.  What do I need to do to help her?  She is fast growing
up and I need to know that should something happen to me (I have very bad health problems) that she will
be able to care and provide for herself.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.