Child Behavior Community
Little boys kissing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Little boys kissing

Is it normal for 5 yr. old boy to kiss another boy?  He has done this on several different occassion.  I feel bad after speaking to him because I clearly stated my position and how this was UNACCEPTABLE.  Please advise.

Disappointed & Confused Mom
Do you know why he's doing it?  I agree,  that it's unacceptable,  for the reason that other little boys will start to avoid him and make fun of him.  

Is he just kind of overcome with affection,  and this is a spontaneous showing of caring,  or do you get the impression he's trying to be irritating,  (like boys who jab at other boys during quiet time,  or pluck their cub scout hats off and toss them,  etc.)  or is it something else?

I really do not know.  His father and I (as well as grandparents) do show alot of affection but I really thought we were within the norm.  It could be that he is trying to mimic his father and I or he could get caught up in his playing and thinks this is funny?  I really do not know.  I did speak to him more in detail as well as his father, but I am not sure if he fully understands.  I will cut back on the affection (hugging and kissing) to see if this will help.

Disappointed and Confused Mom
Treo - I'm not sure cutting back on the affection you give him would be a good idea - he's still so little and thrives on hugs and kisses.

What he really does need to understand,  though,  is that kind of affection isn't welcomed by other boys.  He's old enough to understand that.  

I have two little boys--they are 4 & 2 1/2--they kiss eachother--but we do tell them not everyone wants to be kissed and hugged--we have put it like this that little boys don't kiss boys.  WE have gone to doing high fives --something little guys like all the time.  

Don't hold back your hugs and kisses though--he may think you are really mad at him and don't love him anymore--that works in their minds.  Just let him know it is okay to give family kisses on the cheek (like papa's) and stuff--but no one else.  It is the same thing as teaching them what appropirate touching is and what is wrong.
hi i have same problem to .. i have 5 6 7 yr old 2 boys 1 girl and they keep kissin each other i tried the high five just not working as it just seems to be my 6 yr old daughter and 5yr old son . they start by playing games then my youngest comes in says my daughter has kissed him then se gets uset says it was my son. i dont know what to do upto am telling them kiss on cheek only.
was caught laying on top of another boy in camp. hes 5 and we definitely talk about no kissing boys. but when they told me he was laying on top of the boy, i was speechless. me and my husband lay on each other and when he and my son play he will not let him lay on him. this kept me up all night wracking my brain as too why he would do this. he said that they were playing the "laying game". frustrated and embarrased
absolutely normal. Most of you on here are parents, mostly mothers, and you dont know what little boys do. Im fourteen now but me and my friends have always done stuff together, and all of us are straight. It's not a good idea for them to be doing stuff like that no, but no mattter what theyll do it.