Child Behavior Expert Forum
Long term affects of a baby born addicted to Suboxin

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Have there been any studies done on babys addicted to suboxin? My grandaughter was born that way and what should I look for ? I'm really concerned.
As you know, suboxone is an opiod medication. It is used to treat opioid addiction. A large number (approx. 350,00/year) of babies are born each year having been exposed in utero to alcohol and other drugs. When babies are born with opiares in their system they exhibit what is called neonatal abstinence syndrome. Withdrawal symptoms are treated with medications such as paregoric and phenobarbital, and studies are ongoing about using clonidine to treat such symptoms because of the impact it has on norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter that is released in large quantities during withdrawal. The good news is that, in multiple studies, babies born with withdrawal to opiates, by the time they reach school age, do as well as babies from similar environments who did not present with such symptoms. An important thing to remember is that, in many cases, such babies are compromised in other ways as well, perhaps due to inadequate prenatal care, problematic family heath history, etc. So the opiate exposure is not the only variable that has an impact on them.