Child Behavior Expert Forum
MISS BEHAVING IN SCHOOL

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

MISS BEHAVING IN SCHOOL

I have a 6 year old boy.  He just started 1st grade this year.  He is having a problem at school behaving.  He gets in trouble everyday for something mostly talking out loud.  Yesturday he got in trouble for pouring milk in another childs lunch plate.  Today he got in trouble for using the bathroom on someones shoe.  I disipline him everyday after school he has got spankings put on restriction Im not sure what to do. Please Help!
Dear Michelle,

It will be important for you to collaborate with the classroom teacher on a plan to manage your son's behavior. You should establish consequences for his behavior: i.e., rewards (e.g., play time outdoors, TV time) for appropriate behavior, and punishments (e.g., time out in a chair, no time outdoors, no TV) for inappropriate behavior. Each day a card should go back and forth from home to school, indicating how well your son complied with the classroom rules. At school, it would also help if, e.g., your son's participation in recess was made contingent on his performance in the classroom.

Also consider a consultation with a mental health clinician, either at the school (e.g., through the guidance office) or through your son's regular health care providers.
Please e-mail me. I had the same problams with my son.  He is six and the ploblams started in kindergarden. My son was kicked out of kindergarden three times. Please e-mail me and maybe i could help you a bit.

***@****
My grandson does the same things in kindergarten.He has been suspended twice since school started in early August.He has begun counseling and we all are
on the same wave length,as how to deal with him.He is given choices and consequences.They are spelled out for him and we follow through.We also use the reward system.In fact,tomorrow we are going to buy light-up sneakers he has been asking for because he went through a whole week in school without any serious behavior problems.For time out,be sure your child is not comfortable,away from a tv and away from walls and other objects he can fiddle with.We choose a straight backed chair in the center of the kitchen and we set the timer.When the timer goes off,he has to tell us what he did to get time-out and THEN he may get out of his chair..It is very hard to get him into the chair sometimes but his doctor says "sit on him if we must"( of course,not our full weight) I had to do it twice but he knows we are serious and no longer will give in or give up.WE will win ,not him.IT IS HELPING!!!..Praise God and the doctors who have helped us!
Michelle,
  I have a first grader who has SI.  These children are very impulsive.  But the last thing they need is to be punished by not being allowed to go to recess.  They abosolutely need that time to run off excess energy and help them concentrate.  My husband and I had to go outside our medical insurance to have our daughter evaluated by a developmental child psycologist because her problem was thought to be a 'discipline' issueby her pediatrician. Even though it was expensive (about $1000), it was worth it to get the diagnosis.  With a diagnosis, both the family and the school now understand the reasons behind the behavior and how to deal with it.
A related discussion, Diffculty child was started.
A related discussion, child behavior was started.