Child Behavior Expert Forum
MY DAUGHTER IS 4Y AND SHE HAS DEVELOPED A HABBIT OF HUMPING A PILLOW.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

MY DAUGHTER IS 4Y AND SHE HAS DEVELOPED A HABBIT OF HUMPING A PILLOW. IS THIS NORMAL AT THIS AGE? IT STARTED WITH THE CAR SEAT STRAP TWO YEARS AGO. I DONT REALLY KNOW HOW TO REACT TO THIS MY OLDER DAUGHTER NEVER DID ANYTHING LIKE THIS. IT SEEM TO HAPPEN WHEN SHE IS BORED OR WHEN IT IS TIME FOR BED. SHE HAS ALREADY BEEN CHECK FOR SIGNS OF ABUSE AND THERE WERE NONE, BUT COULD THEY HAVE BEEN WRONG?
See previous reply.
If it was a licensed counselor with experience in this sort of thing that checked your daughter for abuse, I would trust they were right.  I don't see this as particular worrying, although it may be a symptom of anxiety.  Children with anxiety often do things like this as a way of soothing themselves.  Have there been any recent changes in her life which may be causing some anxiety?  

If it starts getting worse, for instance if she starts touching herself a lot or seems overly interested in sex, then you might consider taking her to see a child counselor or psychologist for another assessment.  If you think you have a good reason to believe she is being abused, I would listen to your instincts and keep her away from whoever it is you suspect, without outright accusing the person, at least until you have more evidence.
Why does everyone always think the worst?? My 7 y/o old humped blankets quite frequently around that age and she wasn't abused.  She lives with me and her 2 sisters and was never in a situation to be abused pretty much cause she's always with me.  I remember doing this as a child also (sorry if that's too much info) and I wasn't abused.  I think they do it just cause it feels good to them.  I'm no doc but I just think it's normal and she will grow out of it.
I would be more concerned that she learned this from someone.

If she is just touching her self or rubing back and forth on the pillow then it probably is nothing. If she is doing the motions of a sexual act (humping, grinding etc) then I would suspect she learned this from someone else.

Well I was reading your forum, I am a social worker counsler. To be honest with you, I have seen this alot, and the person that wrote about it being noraml, It is. This is normal for a child that age to explore themselves. All children will explore at that age but some more than others, But believe me, this is normnal. I really hope that this will help you out. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. I will try and help out anyway I can. Oh by the way, people do not assume the worst about a child being abused, because this can be a sign of an abuse child.and I am not saying by the parent by no means, it can be from an outsider. Thats why people take all the precautions when it comes to children

Deanna ***@****
My daughter is 5yrs. old she rubs her vagina area on her bed or with her hands. She does this once in a while maybey even once a day. I try not to say anything but when I catch her doing it is hard for me not to say to her ,stopp that! I don't want her to feel that it is wrong but I don't want her to think that it is okay to do it all the time. I don't want it to become an obsession. Her doctor said it is completly normal but I just feel like I sould let her know it is something that is not accecepted as normal in todays world. Does anyone else have a opinion on this??? Conserned mother.
This is so similiar to what my granddaughter is doing with her stuffed animals.  It's usually when she's bored or mad.  My daughter has caught her several times and I caught her once while she was staying with me.  I thought and still feel some of it maybe the TV and movies she has watched but her Mom did call her pediatrition and was told this was completely normal.  It doesn't stop you from being a little shocked when you see it but, we are trying not to make a huge deal over it.  The funny thing is she acts like she's embarrassed when she's caught even though we've done our best not to over-react.  Oh, and she's four too.  After subtlely questioning her to make sure there was anything going on at the sitters, which we really didn't think so except, she does have a son that's 6 and you know how kids play sometimes.  Anyway, it has made me feel better reading these posts and I don't feel she needs intensive therapy. ha,ha  It is hard not to scream out in horror though, isn't it?
My daughter does this too. She started when she is 1 1/2 yr old now that she is 2 1/2 y/o  she continue to hump her pillow. She does this often when she is sleepy. We have to video tape it and show it to our pediatrician. Our doctor said it is normal. She just asked us if we sleep in the same  room with her but we don't.  We just hope she outgrow it soon. Thanks for the feedbacks. I thought it is just my daughter who does this things.
I am 22 years old, been married for 3 years, and have 2 children. I have done this since I can remember. Don't know why and am too embarrassed now to confront my doc. I have always wondered why I do, but the urge is unbelievably strong. Like I cannot stand to not do it at night. One thing I hate, so either try and help your child now before it becomes a lifetime thing or let them know that you understand that it is something they cannot help because it is a battle with me and I am sure it will be with them too.
My 4 year old son got caught humping another little boy? Im wondering if this is signs of him being gay? He told me he seen it on tv,but i truly doubt that we screen his viewing and he doesnt go anywhere very often to where he watches that on tv.
my 4 yr old has started humping his pilow with his underwear off..is this normal, please help?