Child Behavior Community
MY FIVE YR OLD SON IS STEALING HIS SISTERS UNDIES AND SNIFFING THEM!!!!...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

MY FIVE YR OLD SON IS STEALING HIS SISTERS UNDIES AND SNIFFING THEM!!!!

Starting last week, he constantly hides under his loft bed with a pile of undies from both of his sisters and even his mother's day old jeans or bra and sniffs them.
I'm mortified......
Any time a pair of dirty undies is left unattended for half a second he absconds with them.
Up until now he has a been a great-natured, well-behaved kid for the most part.....
We really have had little problems out of him since the first day he came home from the hospital.
He claims that these undies "smell kind of good and kind of yucky all at the same time" and he "just likes to sniff them"
I'm afraid my kid is turning into a panty-stealing Jeffery Dahmer serial killer before my eyes!!!!
Someone please help me!!!!
I'm devastated here.....
This is the little boy that follows me around constantly like my shadow and calls me his 'Best Buddy'
And now I'm losing him to some freakish behavioral issue.....
We've tried everything!!
Talking to him.....
Telling him this is not OK......
Punishing him.....
Shaming him......
Taking away fun things and privileges.....

Nothing is working!!!

Please!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on this?!?!?!?
Could this be some sort of OCD thing???
He has always had some minor environment control issues that we always found endearing.....
Little stuff like the Pop-tarts MUST be lined up a certain way on the plate or the world was ending....
Or the Night-Night or Bye-Bye rituals and sayings that MUST be performed in a specific order every single time or the world was ending.....
But up until now these things were cute....
This undie-sniffing thing is not so cute!!!

Anyways......

If anyone has any insight into this please post a reply....

Thanks!!!!
If I were you, I would go to my Dr.  and explain all of this to him.  Maybe he can offer some kind of intervention.  
I have a cousin that use to cratch his rear end and smell it.  He just liked the smell.  I know it sounds weird.  I don't have much advise, but to tell you he turned out to be a normal man.  I do agree with 426carrie, though.  I would consult his pediatrician for professional advice.  To me it sounds like an obssesive compulsion disorder.  Good luck.
i suggest a counsellor or a psychologist your son is probably curious.
I'm so sorry to find this somewhat humorous.  I can't picture a cute little boy sneaking his sisters' underwear to sniff it. He obviously is not doing this for any sexual arousal-he's just too young for that yet. Sounds as though he has identified a major difference between boys and girls-they smell different. He is exploring this new found discovery and unfortunately has to sneak around to do it. Instead of shaming him, which will only lead him to hide it more and think of himself as 'bad'-why not let him get a whiff out of the dirty pile when you are around so you can acknowledge it in front of him. Say something along the lines of -"just once and that's it-this bothers your sisters and hurts their feelings so please be respectful". Let him know you can understand his curiosity but he has to move on to something new now. Why not make it fun, take him to a tree/flower shop and expose him to smells of plants. Maybe you can foster a new hobby in horticulture for him.  I am saying this in all seriousness, I think this may be a good direction for a child who exhibits ocd behaviors. Redirection may be the key. Good luck-I'd like to hear what happens. P.S. He's no Dahmer-that wacko killed pet animals and stuff. Sniffing panties can't touch that!
yes it is ocd i started as a young boy doing the same to my moms and as i got older i started w/ my in laws and othere family members im 52  now and still need to do the same .for more info write me private @ ***@****  hope i can help
It might have some OCD origins.  I think the re-direct suggestion by 24me is perfect.  Also--humor. Humor is a good thing sometimes.
Hello, Of course you have reason to be worried.  But if he lines up his pop tarts or has to touch the door handle of each room as he enters it or licks the door frame (as my little brother did), I would put the pantie sniffing in the same category. I would put it on the same level in terms of your concern.  But of course, it has to be stopped because he will do this at school or he will upset his sisters or freak out the babysitter or grandma etc.. He needs a substitute.  Maybe he can choose a baby blanket that has a baby powder smell.  Fabric softeners are not good for children so I would not suggest that...although maybe that is part of what appeals to him.  I wonder if it isn't some kind of pica.  Animals and children who are missing some mineral often eat non food things.  And we have all heard of dogs who drwan to and who eat other dogs or their own poo which is called pica and from my understanding is due to a deficiency.  Is his diet good?  Does he take a daily multivitamin?  Is there a lot of tension in the house?  Doing what he is doing sounds like a comfort thing which he could perhaps get from cuddling and contact especially with Daddy as his role model. How about physical activity to ward off inner stress?  Can he go outside every day and run, climb, play soccer or street hockey with Daddy in the driveway after dinne? Idle hands are the devil's tools....if he is kept busy and active to the point of being tired at the end of a day, he might let go of these behaviours. Good luck! Blue Egg P.S.  I would hide all dirty underwear...
Women just have no understanding of men. They don't understand that the 30 to 40 year old man they marry is just a shadow of his former self as a young man.

He is sniffing panties because that is the scent that is suppose to turn him on! Look at all other animals in nature! Human are not different!