Child Behavior Community
Masterbation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Masterbation

I have a grandson who has been touching his sister while masterbating (masturbating).  Since he's been caught doing this, he has started doing it with one of our dogs.  Help...  the therapists are telling our daughter that this is normal.  We don't think it is when it is occuring often.  
I was looking for information on masturbation in children just last night. ( read behavior problem from daycaretrouble.)   I did read an article found on the internet that was listing sexual behavior in children that one should be concerned about.  one of the behaviors listed abuse, cruelty, or sexual acts with animals.   the site was regarding signs of sexual abuse in children.  I will try to find it and let you know
Masturbating is perfectly normal, it has many health benefits and should not be discouraged, these therapists have had years of expeirience and education, they are more correct than you are. Depending on the age of your grandchildren touch e/other may be perfecty normal if they are between the ages of 2-7, there is no need to punish your grand children but I would suggest talking to each child (if they are 2-7) about male and female genitals (answer any questions) and tell them that certain parts of their bodies should be kept private (in most situations: eg: doctors, medical reasons, ect.) out of respect. Do not scold @ their actions. And remeber masturbation is perfectly acceptable.
Totally agree with the above post except for the abuse off animals , possibly make sure your animals are protected and talk to the chlidren about the respect due to siblings , maybe be more vigillant and supervise them when they are alone.
hi, my 9 yr old daughter has started having some problems. my dad died 2 weeks ago. we have 2.6 yr old identical twin girls. the 9yr old cries she doesnt want to go to school because she misses me and cant wait to see me. she doesnt want to do things children her age should be able to do.

a family friend's son (12) and she had "sex" about 8 months ago. she only wanted to see a woman gyny and finding one here is difficult. personally i think it was more about curiosity etc. the thing is she's been exposed to things someone her age wont understand. we've spoken and i took her to a counsellor a few times until she decided she was ok and she was. now things are reverting back to she cant sleep at night, she talks in her sleep and sort of walks in her sleep. i dont know what to do as the counselling is very expensive. she argues alot and doesnt do as she's told. i dont know how to address  or even to find out what is the problem
Yes, it is normal to touch other people's body parts while masturbating. On the other hand, it is wrong to touch your relative or someone who is not ready to be touched by the other person. It is also very common in children to masturbate at young ages I personally started masturbating when I was 12, but I didn't touch anyone or anything. You should explain to him that masturbating isn't healthy. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sincerely,
                                      AdultHelper
HI twins2006. It is common for young ages to start masturbating, but for a child to have sex when she was 9? I mean nothing bad can happen to her because if she isn't old enough to have her period yet she shouldn't get pregnant or anything. But explain to your child that having sex is when older people ( and try to use yourself as an example in the explanation, because it's possible she wants to follow in your footsteps. ) love each other and are ready to have a big responsibility. Tell her that talking about it with anyone else but you isn't okay, it's not something that you talk about with other people. Also tell her that masturbating is bad unless you are getting ready for sex. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sincerely,
                                                  AdultHelper
Help Can We Plz Tlk