Masturbating Normal in 5 Yr. Girl
My 5 year old (almost 6) daughter has been masturbating for at least a year now.  She mostly does it at night in her bed.  I  caught her doing it a few times while watching t.v. and she has gone up to her bed at least a few times in the afternoon.  I know masturbation is normal.  She knows to do it in private but I do believe she is doing this almost every night.  She is usually red in when I give her a bath the next morning.  When we have discussed her touching her private area she says she does it because it "feels good" or her "pee pee likes it".  My concern is that she is using it to self soothe or put herself to sleep.  Should I be concerned?
In my humble opinion you should not because as you know it is normal.  She just might be a kid who enjoys the stimulation.  I have three girls and I am constantly asking them to pull their hands out of their pants at dinner or at other innappropriate times.  But, when they jump in bed they're pretty much gonna do what they're gonna do.

Don't sweat it, she's 6 and the world is just opening itself up to her.  

I can remember my younger sister doing that all of the time and starting about age 5.  When she was released from prison last year we had a long talk about it...(ha ha, just kidding).  

She'll be fine.
I think if she knows enough to do it in private that's pretty intelligent of her.  (Even if you've told her that, she's following it).

I think it probably just "weirds" you out more than anything, she's your baby.  But I wouldn't worry about, it probably is a self soothing thing just like some become thumb suckers and some attach to blankets.  

She may grow out of it in a year or two.  Just make sure she isn't injuring herself.  Keep your communication open like you have,  She'll find something else she enjoys eventually and that will take her focus away from it.
do you talk to her about sex at all?  masterbation in adlesents can be caused from sexual contact with an adult. is it maybe  she saw someone else stick their hand and do you think that is where she picked it up? i would talk to her dr about it and see what he/she reccomends. have her checked just to be safe.
The Dr. is going to tell you not to worry about it unless she's trying to put objects in the vagina.  The topic of sex for a 6-year-old is something they don't understand.  

Masturbation for kids is perfectly normal.  In fact, masturbation for adults is perfectly normal too!

I agree with becks715. Just keep examining her to make sure she is not abusing her body into a rash or soreness. And make sure she is not putting anything inside.
i have gone through somthing similar with all five of my kids at first i was concerned but it goes away eventually especially with young girls that don't understand everyone ive talked to feels the same