Child Behavior Expert Forum
Milestones in a 10-Month Old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Milestones in a 10-Month Old

I'm a first time mother of a 10 month old boy, who is very active, sweet and sociable, but who still doesn't wave bye-bye or play pattycake (clap his hands).  I've read that this is a milestone that many babies pass by 9 months.  He also doesn't pull up to standing (although he does crawl and pull up to his knees).  I know I tend to obsess over developmental charts, but I have to ask - do you think he's okay?

Thank you!

Kay
Dear Ms. Smith,

The developmental charts offer a roadmap or guideposts to development. They represent an average or norm, and many children do not conform to them in a precise manner. Rather, what most children demonstrate is conformity to the 'charts' in some areas of development and variance from the charts in other areas. In other words, development is not a steady, even progression in all areas. From the information you provided, there's no reason to be worried.
Thanks so much for the encouragement!  I'll try not to worry so much!