Child Behavior Expert Forum
Milestones

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Milestones
I am a first time mom to a 11 month old boy.  I often read information pertaining to milestones and development.  I'm concerned that my son is behind what is considered normal.  He just started crawling last week. I've read that he should be crawling, standing for short periods and cruising furniture at this age.  He babbles dadada or mamama, I've read that he should be saying Dada or Mama (knowing the meaning and directing it at the correct person).  I've also read that he should be gesturing if he wants something which he isn't.  My question is, how do you know if your child is developmentally delayed or are these "milestones" really that important?

Thanks in advance.
It's important to regard the various published developmental markers with flexibility. There is wide variation among children in relation to general development, and variations within the same child in rate of development of particular skills. Actually, based on the information you offered, it sounds like your son is doing fine. Keep in touch with his pediatrician if you have worries, but don't place excessive stock in specific time frames - they are meant to be general guides, not detailed road maps, of development.
Hi Vicky,
I am a mum of two and they are both very different, my son crawled at 6 months and my daughter is 11 months and she only started sitting up at 8 months, she then crawled about 2 weeks later.  My niece didn't crawl until nearly 12 months and then started walking at 12 months.  Children are all very different and I think sometimes,(although milestones are important), people put to much pressure on 1st time mums to make their child conform to the advridge, and after all who wants an avridge child, mine are both special in there own ways.