Child Behavior Community
Miralax for constipation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Miralax for constipation

As some of you know my son 27 months old is severly holding in his bowels.  His stools are not hard, I give him prune juice everyday and metamucil to keep it soft since he goes now once every other day.  He just doesnt want to go.  This has been going on now for too long and I see no improvement.  He is a very determined little boy and it seems like he's not letting go of it.  Today he went on 3 days of not going num2 and finaly went this evening.  Seems like its also affecting his eating.  So to get to my question...Has anyone ever used Miralax for such problem?  How did it go?
Its not that he's constipated.  Well, he is if her holds it in for longer then a day BUT the problem originated from holding in his bowels when he suddenly decided that he doesnt want to do num2 anymore.  Then it all started from there.  I want to try miralax because I know it will make him go no matter what and hopefully restore his normal routine of going.  Its a behavioral issue with him not physical.  He has never been constipated before but started to, obviously, when he began holding in his bowels.  I was potty training him and it was all fine for a few weeks and then all of the sudden he began this.  Im just trying to break his issue of holding in his bowels.  Today I gave him miralax and he went by evening time all though I did see him once during the day holding it in again.  But when he did go in the evening it was without struggles and attempts of holding it in, he just went.  So that was a good sign.   And when he holds it in he starts hopping around the house and trying very hard not to let it out.  Im thinking of doing it straight for 3 days and then go every other day.
My daughter was prescribed Miralax to take every day. she had a Ileus when she was 5 and then ended up with a full blown bowel obstruction. I was giving it to her everyday, but found it made the urgency almost intolerable. when you got to go you got to go.. try fruit. or try the miralax every other day. what does the pediatrician say?
My nephew is on it for the same problem your son has. He simply holds it. He's 9 years old and still does this. His pediatrician prescribed miralax for him. He gets a dosage if he has missed 1 day of bms, to make him go every other day. He hasn't needed it as much lately, but there was a time that he had to get it every other day. It made him have the pains to go to the bathroom. No holding it in. Best of luck to you.