Child Behavior Expert Forum
Mood disorders , anxiety, rad and others
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mood disorders , anxiety, rad and others

I am taking care of a 2 year old whom i have come to love as if i have givin birth -- recently the child was diagnosed with RAD ( reactive attatchment disorder)-- anxiety disorder and possibly others ( doc still working with us)  I have been doing all i can to learn about this but am only finding thing on how to handle kids who are age 10 or older......also-- recently the growling is becomming more viciouse when the child is angry and has put her hand around my husbands neck and tried to choke him....  Can any one give me advice and please don't tell me to send her back to the state, I love her with all my heart and soul and want to help, she is in counceling now but I need advice on where to find more info on toddlers with these disorders and how to work with them... This is still very new to us...
Related Discussions
242606_tn?1243786248
Reactive Attachment Disorder is a very serious condition because it indicates that a child has never formed secure attachments (during the firsy couple of years of life), and this prevents normal relationships from developing. Children who display RAD tend to be angry, hostile and mistrustful, keeping an emotional distance in relationships. They require a systematic program of behavior management and highly structured, routinized environments both at home and in school. The behavior management piece is straightforward. Take a look at Lynn Clark's book SOS Help for Parents and follow his guidelines (which are designed for use with children in general). You are in it 'for the long haul', as they say. It is commonly believed that children who display RAD will likely never achieve fully trusting, reciprocal relationships - they have been deprived of the necessary emotional underpinnings for such relationships because of inadequate early parenting.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank