Child Behavior Community
My 1 year old engages in genital play!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 1 year old engages in genital play!

I have been reading a lot of the post on this subject and I am not really satisfied by some of the responses.  I have a 14 month old girl who will spend sometimes up to half and how in her high chair rubbing herself against it.  She get totally hooked onto it and will not eat or pay attention to anything else.  I know that a little genital play is normal (she will toush her vagina while we change her), but I feel that this may be a little excessive.  She will also do this in her stroller and in the carts in the grocery stores.
I just want to know if I should discourage the behaviour or will this blow over at some point?
That is totally normal.  Most kids do that, and there really isn't a lot we can do to stop it.  One thing you NEVER want to do is make a huge deal out of it, or take her hands off of it. The reason being is that you don't want to teach her that that area is bad, or something to be ashamed of, because that will just create further problems down the line.
I promise you she just likes the way it feels.  She gets no sexual pleasure from it, because she is too young to understand what is going on.
I agree with teddybears4ever.  My 2 year old son plays with his penis and has for a very long time. Bath time is his favorite time...during diaper changes as well.  It truly is nothing at all to worry about and most kids do this to some extent...some more then others.  As she gets old enough to understand, it is a good idea to teach her that this is only for private time and not for public, but other then that I wouldn't say anything at all about it.
Thanks you for the response! I don't really mind that she is doing it.  What bothers me, is that she sits in her high chair rocking back and forth rubbing herself for half and hour, or until I pull her down.  It wouldn't bother me so much if it was just for a bit, or every once in a while, but it is every time and for a long time that bothers me.  I do get the the behaviour in and of itself is not "bad" of "abnormal", its just the lenght and the frequency.
She is just self soothing.  In the morning when I shower for work I have to put my son in his high chair as well (for safety).  He will suck his thumb.  They often don't like to be confined like that (even though sometimes we have to do it), so self soothing is common I would think.  If it was something else like thumb sucking you probably wouldn't think much of it right?  All of these things are comforting for them and as teddybears4ever said, not sexual.

You should ask your Dr. about it though.  You are obviously concerned and when something is worrying me, I always talk to my pediatrician.  If nothing else, it can really set my mind at ease.  ANd nothing wrong with checking right?
Could she have an irritation maybe some chafing from her diaper, I dont agree children of 1 year old do this with out reason and I don't think they masturbate .But they do get itches and rashes..has she any redness is she urinating okay ?.
It is normal for children to touch themselves. She is very young to understand what privacy is, so I would just gently try to distract her when you are in public. As long as she isn't hurting herself or anyone else then I wouldn't worry about it at home. Sometimes children go through phases where they do something such as rubbing themselves obsessively. It's not a sexual thing. I wrote a blog post about it.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/320368/PSA-About-Little-Kids

skepticalpeach (formerly diva2317)