Child Behavior Community
My 10 year old is afraid to sleep by herself and wants to sleep with he...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 10 year old is afraid to sleep by herself and wants to sleep with her little sister

I have a ten year old daughter that is afraid of everything when she lays down to go to bed.  She will complain about how she is scared of sleeping in the bottom bunk and will feel a lot better sleeping on the top bunk with her nine year old sister.  This has never been a problem until she turned nine.  She will come into our room throughout the night with whatever reason possible just to sleep with her sister.  She has complained about being scared all the time to being sick and that if she sleeps with her sister she will feel better.  My daughter tells me that her friend has her watch scary movies when she sleeps over.  This might be the problem but its been a month since shes been over there.  Any help on how to get her over her fears or whatever it might be would help very much.  I have already told her that she is not sleeping over at her friends house anymore.She told me that one night they had watched Gran Tourino and I was very mad because that is a terrible movie for a ten year old to watch.
Did you sit her down and explain to her that movies are'nt real?
Maybe having her sleep in the top bunk and her sister sleeping on the bottom might be worth a try. Also, spending some time with just her before she goes to bed might help. You could read a book to her our just have some cuddle time. If she feels calm and secure before bed time she might not keep getting up. Take care. Remar
Hers the thing you have her sister sleeping in your room so big sister wants a piece of the action and attention, she is feeling left out,how old is little sister? Scary movies arent a good idea at an immpresionable age so stop that , focus on her positive side and give her one to one time so she feels she is as important as she always was to you ..Good Luck
The little sister sleeps on the top bunk above her and does not have anyproblems sleeping alone on the top bunk.  Her 10 year old sister is the one who is scared of sleeping in her own bed which is the bottom bunk below.  They sleep on a bunk bed in the same room together.  Neither of them have problems with sleeping in our bed.
Is letting her sleep with her sister on the top bunk when she gets scared a good thing or something to do just so me and my wife can sleep peacefully.  I am trying to get her to sleep in her own bed below her sister and face her fears on her own thinking this will help her overcome them.  I just don't see why moving her from the bottom bunk to the top bunk with her sister is going to help her with being scared.  This has never been a problem until about a year ago.
Have to tried a night light or leaving a light on for her? I know she is 10, but if she is scared of the dark it might help. Also, sometimes leaving a radio or something on for noise. d
my daughter has the same  prob but no one sleeps with her in her room try if she sleeps in her own bed she gets a prize at the end of the week or do a chart if she dose it let her have a sleep over hope it works . GOOD LUCK
Hello!I am 11 years old and I still sleep with my mum, I don't know why but I like her tickleing my back and then I go off 2 sleep. She soon comes back 2 sleep in my room cauze my dad snores!!!  
But, I'm going into big school in september and I need 2 get out of this habit. Can you please help me!?
My daughter is seven years and she is very smart kid, she listens to both mom dad, she is kind to her sisters. She is perfect child, but she is afraid to sleep at night in her bed even though she shares room with her sister, I made appointment with her doctor and said I should take to psychiatrist, hearing that name is scares me and i know that she has no mental problem. what can I do to help my daughter.
My daughter is 10 and will not sleep by herself cause she hears noise outside and inside the house. I give her Melitonin 2mg every night which was recommended by her pediatric Dr. She sleeps great till 2am or 3 and she's up again or sleeps on my floor. No trama. I think psychiatry will need to assist if this goes on any further. We are all losing sleep. She does have an anxiety disorder called selective mutism so maybe this has to do with her disorder. Not sure.  I wish you the best