Child Behavior Community
My 11 year old talks to herself

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 11 year old talks to herself

I have noticed my daughter talking to herself and also doing some kind of shaking movement with her hands. She has been going into the bathroom or going somewhere in the house  to do this, so I figure she must be ashamed or something. She is going through puberty and has been for a few months now. Is this normal behavior? She socializes very well with friends and has no behavior issues. I am just concerned about this issue.
do you ever hear what she is saying to herself when she is talking?  maybe she is getting grief from girls at school and she is trying to counteract their comments by telling herself that whatever they're saying about her is wrong.  i did volunteer work with a team of young girls in an afterschool track program to boost self esteem and one of them would repeat a mantra to herself when other people called her "fat" by saying "i am beautiful because God made me this way."  the age group was a bit younger, 7-9 year olds, but it could be something similar.

also, it almost sounds like a symptom of obsessive compulsive disorder to me.  sometimes, people with OCD will constantly repeat a phrase to themselves, sometimes accompanied by an action.  they have very high anxiety and feel like they HAVE to do these things or else something bad might happen.  since she's hitting puberty, if she has this, it might be worsened by anxiety and worries about growing up.  also, it might be triggered by her changing hormones.  if OCD is the case, she might go into another part of the house because she is embarrassed by it and doesn't want anyone to see her, even though she feels like she needs to do this action/mantra combination, hence obsessive-compulsive.

i don't want to say that either of these is the case, but i just thought i would give my opinion.  you can look up more about these cases online and see if they fit your daughter's actions.  hopefully everything will turn out alright!

best of luck,
LS