Child Behavior Community
My 13 yr old son compulsively licks his fingers..
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My 13 yr old son compulsively licks his fingers..

When asked why he does this he says his fingers feel funny, I've offered every type of lotion available. He hates them all, they 'feel" wrong. If his hands get dirty he will lick them. Just the finger tips... generally he licks his fingers then wipes them on his shirt. He has been doing this for years tbh. It's just become increasingly apparent that he cannot refrain from this activity. He also has to tuck his socks between his big toe and the 2nd toe. do you think this is more of a nuero or sensory issue? What can I do to help him with this?

This discussion is related to 6 year old constantly licking fingers and hand.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Could be a sensory issue.  Could be an anxiety issue.  And I suppose, it could be something else.  Try googling terms as "sensory integration" or "DIS" or child sensitivities" or similar phrases to better understand sensory issues.  Then, try googling terms as "childhood anxiety" or "anxiety symptoms" or similar phrases to better understand anxiety issues.  Once you know the "cause" of his behaviours, then you should be able to begin the process to seek treatment.  By the way, your child could suffer from both sensory and anxiety issues.  If you get no results from your search of the internet, then book an appointment with his family doctor.  The teen years are a good time to see if the doctor (especially if no visit has been scheduled for some time.  Hope this helps ...
Blank
look into PANDAS. My son has same problem and a host of others and is currently being evaluated for this disorder. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/pandas/index.shtml
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Child Behavior Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...