Child Behavior Community
My 21/2 years old is very shy and scared of strangers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 21/2 years old is very shy and scared of strangers. She was social person until she turn 2. She is only comfortable with me or her dad. She goes to preschool; the teacher told us she is very quite. She never say a word to her teacher but she does good in activities. I am so worried because every time when when we take her to park she doesn't want to play unless we are next to her. She doesn't feel safe even with our family and close friends.  Please I need your help

Hi, Miti!

I think it's perfectly normal for this age, and for this child, to be shy. I am glad to hear that she is doing well in her activities, that is a good sign. The very fact that she actually lets you leave, is excellent.
   Just keep loving and reassuring your daughter. She is still very, very young.
In time she will outgrow the fear.
    She may always be shy, and that is okay too. Enjoy her!!  
Don't worry about your daughter being scared of strangers.  

As our children grow we warn them not to talk to strangers or accept sweets from strangers.  And we do this to protect them.  

As your child becomes more comfortable with her teacher and the school children in her class, she will slowly feel more relaxed and not so shy as she gets to know them better.  Don't forget that there is nothing wrong with being shy.  We are all different.

It is a good thing that she will only play when you are next to her at the park.  You do not know the people at the park.    I would never allow any of my children or grandchildren to play without being with them at that age.  She is too young for you not to be next to her when she plays in a public place.

Why don't you join in the play with her.  Help her up the slide and count the steps and hold her hand if she wants you to as she slides down.  Push her on the swing and sing songs to her and talk to her.  When you push her on the swing, do it from the front so that she can see your face.  This is so much more fun, for you and for her.

She will grow up very quickly and when she is old enough, she will not want you to be next to her.  

At the moment always stay by her and never let her out of your sight.  Any opportunity you have, interact with her and talk to her.  Point at the colours and tell her what they are, point at objects, the letters on a low sign and tell her what they are.  Don't forget she does not know all the things that we as adults take for granted.  She will learn more by fun.  

Remember that we do not live in a safe world.
Thank you so much for you're respond I feel much better now!