Child Behavior Community
My 3 year old girl is humping objects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 3 year old girl is humping objects

At 2 years of age my daughter started humping her little stuffed dog occasionally.  So I got rid of the dog.  Then she started with a small soccer ball.  So I got rid of the ball.  Now she is 3 and it is much more frequent.  She is using several different objects now such as different stuffed animals, once a sippy cup, and her hands.  I will find her with her face red and sweating.  

Most recently, I picked her up from preschool (she attends twice a week) and she was lying on the floor using her hands with face red.  I snatched her up and luckily no one else noticed what she was doing.  I am mortified and don't know what to do.  But I want this to STOP!!  

I started with just removing the objects of choice.  Then I told her this was naughty and not nice behavior and she must stop.  Lately, when I catch her I have really fussed at her.  I am at the end of my rope.  My husband, who is currently serving in Iraq, suggested taking her to doctor and discussing this matter.  I am just embarrassed.  I am a stay at home mom and most of my friends are stay at home moms and this has never been discussed at any play groups.  So I thought I would try using this forum.  Please help.  

Hart730

Has she seen this behavior anywhere else, as it seems a bit young to be doing it so much and your husband maybe right to see what your Doctor thinks,are there any other Family or babysitters could have had some TV programme on wasnt appropiate and she has seen it, although it does sounds too excessive for that.
PS  Also going to the Doctor you could ask him to check if she had any Bladder infection or irritation.
take her see ur doc asap and try not feel imbarrased as it might be harder to sort out if u leave it
its seems realy wrong for a child to do such things as anything happened or could of happened that you not awear of like watched somthing etc
I am a Director of a Daycare for 11 years and can tell you that this is not something that is as unusual as you may think. I have known children to do this at nap times at school. I do understand that you might be finding this embarrassing but I m sure it is only self discovery. I would find a way to discourage her that does not make her feel ashamed of her body. Boys go through similar times playing around w/ their bodys as well.
hi I new here and i am going through that same problem with my 4 year old son and i am tired of catching hi with his pants down it is getting to the point where he is doing it so much that he falls asleep and when i going pull the covers and night his underware are to his ankle i need some help becuse i just had baby girl and i dont want that kind of behavior around her and talking is kind of hard and getting him to understand is kinda of shameful shouldnt his father talk to him about this or i just some education this my please help me
hi,
my 3year old daughter is constatly humping things. its now becoming something that i tell her i dont want to see and she will go into another room and tell me to wait for her and she will do it until, i guess, she is done. She has never seen me and her father together, nor anyone else to my knowlege. i dont have her in daycare and she is 99% of the time with me. i dont know what to do, but being someone who has been molested, i have watched for anything unusual, or slightly irregular from the day she was born. i strongly feel that nothing has ever happened to her due to the attention that i have given situtaion. Please help me with explaining what this is and how i stop it.
Thank you,
stacy
IT IS NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS A COMFORT THING JUST LIKE SUCKING YOUR THUMB EXCEPT THAT THIS IS A BIT MORE EMBARASSING FOR PARENTS TO DEAL WITH. I WOULD NEVER MAKE YOUR LITTLE ONES FEEL THAT IT IS WRONG OR DISGUSTING MAYBE JUST TELL THEM TO DO IT IN PRIVATE!
I have a two year old daughter doing the same thing.  She started this at about 12 months old I got her a new car seat.  The behavior has only increased although we have discouraged her to continue this behavior.  She does it in private as well as public when she get's the urge.  I also am a stay at home mom and am with her 99.9% of the time.  My husband and I are private and we do not have cable so no TV influence.  I have talked with friends and a Dr. and they say this is a normal non-sexual behavior (in their mind) and do it because it feels good.  We call it "rubbing" and when asked why she does it she says "I like it".  My husband and I do not accept this behavior and are cointinuing to help her through this.  We are trying to discourage the behavior while not shaming her.  I remind her that that behavior is not acceptable in our family and when she does it she is not obeying mommy and daddy.  She isn't in trouble for the behavior specifically but for not listening.  We try to treat it as if she didn't listen to other rules.  Hopefully that will keep it from becoming a separate and shameful act.  As of now this act is not associated with sex but if allowed to be visually stimulated I know that it can be. We do not encourage this even in privacy.  As she get's older we hope it stops but if not hope that we can help her through it in a healthy way.  We want to teach her that sex and 'pleasure' were created for a husband.  A women should find pleasure from her husband not herself. Vice versa. We believe sex was meant to please the other and is not a selfish act. Anyway, all that to say that what we teach her now and how we handle the situation now will most surely shape her views on sex.  Hope this helps. It helps me just to say it. I don't always handle it the best way.
guys, this is normall , i am 31 and i have 1 kid , heres my story , its normall.....

my daughter was 5 at this age and i was making her a drink in the kitchen then i walked into the living room and she was there with her vagina on the corner of the arm rest on the sofa humping it moving back a forth , as soon as she saw me she stopped and sat on the chair as quiclly as possible hoping i wouldnt see , then i walked back in the kitchen , turned around and there she was again , humping the arm rest on the sofa. she seemed out of breath.

this carried on occasionaly  

when my daughter was 6 years old she was lying on the floor in the lounge , lying on her hand and humping , she didnt know i was there and i didnt have a clue what she was doing!

i decided to go and see a doctor , he said its normall there just exploring , lots of kids do it , ! most parents go through the same situation , i talked to my daughter about this and i told her to stop but i wasnt shaming her.

people call this 'rubbing'

when she was 8 years old i walked into the bathroom and the bath mat which was on the edge of the bath was on the floor , i asked my daughter , why is it on the floor and she said i was rubbing. i though okayy... ,

when she was 9 she was doing it to the bar at the bottom of her bed

after that she stopped completely