Child Behavior Community
My 3 year old refuses to stop breast feeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 3 year old daughter is capable of drinking from a sippy cup, drinks from cups, eats independently, goes to potty and is very very smart for her age.
The only problem is, she still wants to be breast fed, I can see it is when she is tired mostly or just for comfort.
A midwife told me to put a product used for prevention of biting your nails 'Stop N Grow' on my nipples, it has a disgusting taste and although it worked for a while my Miss Attitude would wait the second I stepped out of the shower to start up her tantrum for the breast feeding. It is becoming annoying to me and I'm starting to push her away, I feel I'm only good enough for when she wants my boobs, I know it sounds awful but when I get home from an exhausting day at work the last thing I want is a heavy 3 year old hanging off me.
As for the tablets that doctors can give you to dry up your milk, I was advised that in order to assist this the child would have to go without.. not an easy task and to make matters worse I sometimes just give in to avoid the screaming matches.

I am desperate and want help from someone who knows exactly how to combat and stop this.. as during the breastfeeding she's pinching me, digging her nails into my breast or biting..

HEEEEELLLLLPPP!!!

This discussion is related to Three year old still breastfeeding.
I am not against longer breast feeding, but if is causing mom a problem in the fact of her pinching you etc,  I think best idea is to get tough and just stop, to stop breast milk, bind up breasts firmly, the milk will subside and go, thats the old method it still works, ,discomfort for a couple of days. My guess is she is in day care or doesnt see you for a portion of the day ?  so then she needs you more when you get home she wants your attention, as you are tired how about you get her a soothing drink and a snack and a 'cuppa' for you, sit down with her, and read some stories . Be consistant no breast and she will get it very quickly.good luck  
You have to be tuff.  I know that it makes thing quiet and peaceful sometimes when you give in but you must be strong when you children are strong willed.  The screaming fits will get worse before they get better, thats how children operate.  She needs to find a blanket or maybe a teddy bear to learn how to self comfort instead of mommies comfortable breast.  I know you feel that its necessary to provide her with comfort but she has to be uncomfortable before she learns through trial and error, how to comfort herself.  Its so hard as a mom to listen to your children scream like that but it will stop when they get tired and slowly, they will move on.  Best of Luck.  Don't forget, parenting is sometimes about making the hard decisions.
StarK,  this is just something you have to put your foot down about.

Putting your foot down is just now beginning.  This will prepare you to put your foot down about inappropriate clothing,  going to someone's house you don't approve of,  wanting makeup at an early age,  etc.

Some kids fight back harder than others,   and I see a long 15 years ahead for you with fighting over lots of things,  but that's just parenting.

Best wishes.
My son did not want to stop. I finally just had to tell him no, it was tough and annoying nad it made him cry, but honestly it did not last that long. I think for him it was a comfort thing.